Is Over provisioning of Local Volumes using Azure File Sync and Tiering a possibility RRS feed

• Question

• Say i have a Local Server Volume of 1TB and I provision a storage sync group with a 2TB Disc on Azure.

I setup the tiering to tier cold files to cloud at 50% of local Volume full.

In time while the filesync tiers files as the 50% limit is reached to the 2TB sync group in azure and leaves only a breadcrumb on the local disk could it be that in Time the combination of the files in the Cloud and the files on the Local drive exceed the 1TB Volume.  Would this even be allowed by Windows as i see the NTFS Properties shows the Actual Size of the Volume and not the size on Disk (the properties of a folder show both size on disk and actual size).

Anyway will Windows allow this Overprovisioning as long as the size on disk maintains Free space on the local volume?

Thanks,

Milton

Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:18 PM

All replies

• @Milton KonstantinidisFirstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused. 

That's correct, the logical size of the file on the server will exceed the physical size since the files are tiered. If it looks at the sizes of all files, it's because of design, However local server (size on disk) would only be 500 GB since you have configured at 50% free space policy on 1TiB volume. 

Windows  cares about "size on disk" what's on local server , so as long as that doesn't exceed 1 Tib, the volume will not run of the disk space. 

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:24 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:07 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply,

That does answer my question and i appreciate the simple explanation. One thing still bothers me, any share on the local Server displays the (Total files) on disk and the Tiered Files and once the 1 Tib  local is exceeded by the combination of local and tiered the Visual display in windows would show that the disk is full. Is there a way to have Windows Graphically display (Size on Disk) for a more accurate representation of what is actually in stored locally and how much is still available?

Thanks for your kind response.

Milton

Milton Konstantinidis

Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:23 PM
  • There is no way on Windows Server to graphically the total size of the files in the cloud.

You can see usage in the Azure portal.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, June 5, 2020 4:03 AM