none
Folder Redirection does not provide permission for Python Project - stop folder redirection RRS feed

• Question

• BLUF: Registry entry needed to permanently disable Folder Redirection on a domain machine.

Registry entries appear to start with "%PUBLIC%".  Should they be "%UserProfile%"?

Found:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Desktop\PreventUserRedirectionOfProfileFolders

The usefulness of "folder redirection" eludes me.   I am the admin on the local box.  On another login, I am the Enterprise Administrator.  There were directions explaining how to disable folder redirection but adding new computers to the network seems to reenable the redirection.

This redirection appears to be troublesome rather than helpful.   For the most part, only the most recent machine added owns the redirected folders and my login exists on several computers.   If an item needs to be deleted, it requires opening remotely whatever the last computer was added and deleting the item there.   Additionally, if something is saved in my local documents, for example, a Anaconda project, any attempt to open it on the local desktop, automatically goes to the "\\folderredirection" meaning, it only works on the most recently added computer on the network.  Anywhere else it fails.

Another problem, the NAS is on a router that only allows connection using SMB 1.0 (Samba) which has been disabled by Microsoft.   The alternative is local FTP.   These solutions do not work with folder redirection.   This nasty aspect of folder redirection has reared its ugly head for just over two years.   

I'd like to permanently remove any capability for Business Essentials 2016 to have this folder redirection capability.  Make it so there is never a machine added again to the network that attempts to apply folder redirection.

Is there a simple registry entry to completely disable folder redirection when a new machine is added to the network?  My GPO skills are lacking and getting something like this under control has eluded me for a couple of years.  A truly simple solution will be most helpful short of switching to Linux... (thanks, but there is enough to learn just keeping up with all these Microsoft changes - no thank you Linux)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Trying to start SQL Server:

The Microsoft.sqlServer.Management.ThreadDetection.ThreatDetectionPackage (v14)  .. problem may have been caused by a configuration change... examine file "C:\Users\<profile>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AppEnv\14.0\ActivityLog.xml

AND

The Recycle Bin on \\<domain server name>\Folder Redirection\<user>\Searches is corrupted.  Do you want to empty the Recyble Bin for thjis drive?  (if you answer YES, it continues indefinitely to pop back up with the annoying noise of Microsoft errors)

Then

Service "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RegistrationService" not found (\blah\blah\SDK.SqlStudio)

AND

Winodws cannot access \\<domain server name>\Folder Redirection\<user>\Desktop.  Contact your network administrator to request access.

R, J

• Edited by Crakdkorn Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:00 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2019 11:08 AM

Answers

• hi,
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on problematical server essentials and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2 can you refer below document to disable Folder Redirection Group Policy setting
    Configure folder redirection on the Windows Server Essentials Destination Server
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/configure-folder-redirection-on-the-windows-server-essentials-destination-server

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Crakdkorn Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• hi,
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on problematical server essentials and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2 can you refer below document to disable Folder Redirection Group Policy setting
    Configure folder redirection on the Windows Server Essentials Destination Server
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/configure-folder-redirection-on-the-windows-server-essentials-destination-server

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Crakdkorn Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Business Essentials is Version 1607 Build 14393.2879

Perhaps it is time for me to upgrade to Essentials 2019?

Laptop, Desktop, etc are all Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1803 OS Build 17134.577

R, J

• Edited by Crakdkorn Sunday, March 31, 2019 7:05 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:04 PM
  • I'm marking your answer as correct but it is lacking a big part of the picture.   It only works after a gpupdate /force and a log off and log back on.

R, J

Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:17 PM