internet explorer keeps not responding or after awhile all pages will not dispay Vista Premium RRS feed

• Question

• my IE gets not responding after awhile (messages a get after hitting X says IE not responding close or wait). If it works then all pagfes I open say page can not be displayed only closing IE and reopening IE do I get pages to work for a while at least. I have Vista Home Premuim. I was asked to review to see if I should recommend it to my readers.
    PC specs 2.33 core 2 duo 6550
    2 gigs ram
    8600 video card
    2x250 gig hard drive
    1x 500 gig hd
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:06 PM

Answers

•  

Hi acehardy,

Based on your post, it looks as if the issue you faced is:

There is a Vista Home Premium machine which IE crashes frequently.

This issue may be caused by some 3rd party add-ons. As a result, please reset the IE settings to disable add-ons:

1.        Close any IE or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2.       Open a new IE window.

3.       Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4.       Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5.       In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

6.       When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

7.       Close IE. (The changes will take effect the next time you open IE.)

After that, please open IE again to verify if the issue has been resloved.

If the issue persist, please capture the error message to me for further analysis.

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:53 AM

All replies

•  

Hi acehardy,

Based on your post, it looks as if the issue you faced is:

There is a Vista Home Premium machine which IE crashes frequently.

This issue may be caused by some 3rd party add-ons. As a result, please reset the IE settings to disable add-ons:

1.        Close any IE or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2.       Open a new IE window.

3.       Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4.       Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5.       In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

6.       When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

7.       Close IE. (The changes will take effect the next time you open IE.)

After that, please open IE again to verify if the issue has been resloved.

If the issue persist, please capture the error message to me for further analysis.

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:53 AM
  • thanks I will try it after work. Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 8:27 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Hi acehardy,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 8:28 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2007 11:12 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem with Vista home premium and IE7, the info you gave above did not work. Did a system restore, worked fine until the next day, started it up and IE7 would not respond again, did another system restore, worked fine until next shut down and restart,,, First time this happened was after update for windows defender definition 1.23.4365.0 dated 11/29/07. This is a brand new Toshiba laptop 2 ghz ram, amd tk-55 processor. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. I tried what you stated it didn't help the issue. I halso have a brand new cor 2 duo machine and of course everything is vista certified. All my vista scale for proccessor ram, etc is 5.4-5.0. I can just be searching a random site and it just locks up haviung me to press the x button and says close or wait wait never works. It is just a pain as the xp explorer wasn't this much of a pain.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Mine seems ok now. I uninstalled omnipage and omniform as described in several threads and have not had the problem since then (about a week). Those programs must not be compatible although they install fine with no warnings.

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:17 PM
  • omni page is from Canon printers if I'm correct. I don't have a Canon printer.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:12 PM
  •  

Thanks for your sharing fv22.

Hi acehardy,

Please confirm if fv22’s solution is suitable for you. If not, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1.    click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2.    After that, please browse websites as usual to check if the issue is resolved.

In addition, please capture a screenshot of the error message for further research.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joson Zhou

Microsoft Online Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for all the help. I check the other suggestion and don't have omni page as for your last suggestion I check internet explorer and says IE no add-ons running. I will try and capture a screen of the issue but it mostly just says IE stopped working and thats all.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Your solution worked great thanks a lot. 

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with IE7, read thru last posting and recommendations and can't find anything that fits.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I haven't found an answer either and as a game revieer use the internet alot. My solution when it freezes I use firefox 3.0. I know that isn't a real answer but I can't waste my time trying to find a solution when no person seems to have any real answers. I deleted all add ons and tried all the advice give over serveral boards to no help.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I have also tried all of the suggestions and Internet Explorer still freezes (Vista Home Premium).

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:54 PM
  • If anyone has any toolbars e.g. orbit/ask/sype etc delete them this worked for me

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Hi...

I don't have any add ons and my ie7 freezes continually.  I cured the problem by using Firefox as all the efforts I made with Microsoft were to no avail.  Maybe Microsoft might think of writing better software.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Same problem on both of my notebooks with IE freezing up constantly....now using Firefox and it's working great. 
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Same problem on both of my desktops with IE freezing up constantly....now using Firefox and it's working great.

• Proposed as answer by bigbilly62 Friday, March 13, 2009 8:45 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:43 PM
  • I agree with the folks that state this doesn't work (turning off the add-ons).  I did that 2 weeks back, and by IE still randomly goes into "not responding" mode.  If I could just KILL that ONE instance, all would be great, but when you kill IE, it kills ALL instances, whether or not you have tabbed occurances or unique instances of IE open.  You have to start EVERYTHING back up.  That's a royal pain if you've gone to 6 or 7 sites, and are investigating things.

I'm running Vista Home premium, 64 bit, on a pretty big, pretty 'virgin' system.  It's a HP 17" laptop, 4G memory, all the bells and whistles.
    Everything seems to be working good except IE SOMETIMES.  This doesn't happen at the start, but after about 1-2 hours, eventually I'll open a window (usually happens if I right-click, and select "open in new window").

Anyhow, I guess I'm going to have to use firefox also, except there are a fair amount of sites that don't work with it either.  Nothings perfect, but I would have thought that MSFT would have enough people & testers that stuff like this wouldn't happen, or they could turn on traces (with users help) and fix it.

Just FYI, I've been in the computer business since before MSFT got started (I work mostly w/Mainframes, but do a lot of server/PC stuff also) and software is "kinda" getting easier, but it's stuff like this that really turns people/users OFF.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:08 PM
  • In the past 2 weeks my computer has constanlty stopped working..today I had to shut down using power button at least 20 times.  I was on the phone with Dell 2 days ago, as its still under warranty, and it seemed fixed.  I had a tech guy I was going to pay that was on the way and after dell did some check on the hard drive and memory it worked fine.  He is coming tomorrow to do some cleanup.. Dell had me download malwarebytes from download.com and run a scan..few tries later and adware.comet is found in 2 spots..I had to run it again as it froze during removal.  The computer guy comes, I tell the story and he sits and checks out the computer..All is great.  Computer guy leaves..go home and bam...it slowly starts all over again until non stop today.  What is the problem?  It doesn't seem to matter what program  I have open..IE8, office, excel. internet..not choosy.  It seems even if nothing is open it will freeze after awhile.  But hard drive been checked 2x and no issues.  Any ideas?  Did repair with windows OS install disk (that was done before dealing with dell).  I downloaded malware again and it freezes before scan finishes.. 
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:25 PM
  • i had the same problem as well and have done what you said to acehardy and still i have the not responding message what else can be th eproblem and what can i do about it?
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:16 AM
  • I Had the same problem and i fixed it!!!

all u gotta do is Got to internet options ,click on the advanced tab the u will see reset click that then try it then!!
    • Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 8:32 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Sorry, but did you actually read the thread? That was already suggested and it didn't work for most people. 

Monday, August 31, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I had the same/similar problem.  As I read through all the above, one response caught my attention.  A reply from FV22 on December 10, 2007
    mentioned  he uninstalled Omni Page and OmniForm.  Also, a reply following that from Acehardy said they were from Canon printers.  Well it just so happens that I had just installed Scan Soft Omni Page after I reconnected my Canon printer.  (Omni Page was on the disk from Canon).
    I have been frustrated for several days with this machine grinding to a halt, and I figured I had nothing to lose.  After uninstalling OmniPage, my computer is back 'normal'.  I know I probably got lucky finding my answer in this forum, but hopefully, this can help somebody too.
    Good luck to all, and thanks for being out there.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:20 AM
  • You Got It! This is the one to go to Internet Options, Click on the Advanced Tab and click on Reset. It worked!
    • Proposed as answer by Deskspud Monday, April 26, 2010 8:33 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:55 AM
  • Joson,

Thanks.  After a whole Saturday of troubleshooting my computer with error 101...I tried this and it worked.  I use to use google chrome.  It won't let me open anything.  Anyway, I can use the internet explorer again by following those steps you provided.

Thanks man.

MikeHJT
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:25 PM
  • MikeHJT,

Jason hasn't been to this thread since December, 2007 man.
    Richard
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:07 AM
  • I know it's a limited solution.

1. Go to Task Manager (alt+ctrl+delete)

2. Hit End Process (not tree) for any of the "iexplore.exe *32" processes, usually the one taking up the most memory.

3. It will, 95% of the time, unfreeze Internet Explorer and close one of your tabs. This will then immediately cause IE to try to recover the page you were on. You will keep all the other tabs and the effect will be the equivalent of reloading one of your tabs.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Hi
    Just want to say a big THANK YOU!  my son sent me the link to your page after I described the problems I was having i.e "not responding" appearing whenever I tried to close webpages using the red x box on the top right corner, then a box would appear saying IE not responding and do I want to close the programme or wait, I always had to close, then restart IE.  My only difference to the other peeps on here, is that I have Vista Basic on my Acer Laptop, but I did the IE Reset as described, and it now loads IE much faster and with a lot less clutter, and up to now i have no problems closing pages with the red x box.  I would definately say give this a try, it's worked for me!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:51 AM
  • From a scale of 1 to 10 i give you A 10+ A very good information, easy to follow and a real good solution..THANKS A LOT.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hi Ace Hardy,

I had the same problems with IE and read your suggestion. I tried it and my problem was immediately solved. I almost downloaded IE 8 to try and solve my problem. Thanks your suggestion was timely. Any ideas about IE 8? Does it make sense?

THanks again
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I tried this on my other machine and I still cannot get IE to work.  All I get is a blank page and a not responding message.  Can't even close it without going to task manager.
    Please help.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:01 PM
  • there is no message on the page, except not responding, and hold your horses circle (the latest version of the hour glass)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:27 PM
  • not the issue
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:33 PM
  • windows 7 internet explorer 8 freeze this does not work.   read thread
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:34 PM
  • I had the same issue and it turned out to be a conflict between antivirus program "McAfee" with both

IE8 & Win7 media player not responding as well, So I disable McAfee and now it all works perfectly...

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:30 PM
  • For me, turned out that my profile got corrupt.

Tested this by logging in locally using the ADMIN account that I created during Windows Install. That is, in our business environment. Most folks use this account for their own account at home.

In any case, either log in using a different profile and test to see if this still happens with a different profile.

Preferably, create a NEW profile with Admin priviliges.

Just finished recreating my profile and all is well. Took me over 8 hours of troubleshooting, but go figure...

zitro68

Friday, June 18, 2010 6:35 PM
  • use firefox get rid of that ____ called internet explorer
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:20 PM
  • OR... download google chrome, i had exactly the same problem but google chrome isnt effected by any of this freezing etc... it is free and faster than internet explorer (in my case it is faster anyways) hope this helped.

note:- i replied to this post because i dont know how to post on here lol

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:28 PM
  • I've tried Firefox and Chrome and at first it seems to appear to work better or longer but then it also starts to "not respond" and mine does it intermitedly.  It works fine for about 30 seconds and then freezes for about 30 seconds then works for 30 seconds, etc.  It is so frustrating and I can't seem to get anything accomplished in 30 seconds time.

Any other suggestions, anyone????

Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:30 PM
  • wheres the adanced tab cuz i dont see it when i go to tools and open internet options
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Actually this problem bothered me quite a long time too, but recently I find functional software which can fix all these problems just with one click: tuneup360, maybe you guys could have a try.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:05 AM