none
reported memory incorrect when full page heap in use RRS feed

• Question

• In a 32 bit app with full page heap in use I see approximately 1G reported in Private Bytes and yet small allocations (plus the page) are failing. A process dump taken at that time will only be around 1G. This would indicate that there is plenty of memory available.

I opened a support call with MS and was shown that without full page heap in use memory is reused but it isn't when it is. And then was told:

When pageheap is enabled, memory management is fundamentally different. Most apps don’t know how to account for memory used this way. I don’t believe the data available in perfmon or task manager is enough to determine how memory is used or available in an application with pageheap enabled.

Can Process Explorer, or other tool, actually show what memory is "in use", or more to the point, available?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:46 PM

All replies

• Probably RamMap can help you a little here, but with full page heap enabled, effectively each memory allocation is "guarded" by the page heap mechanism, and so much more memory is used for each allocation you make in your app..

with Rammap you can see the memory per process and the physical page and even the memory allocated per mapped file.. but it obviously depends on what you need to know if RamMap can help or not..

Try using it

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this. I have confirmed that there is an issue here and have added this to the Process Explorer backlog for resolution.

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:02 AM