business intelligence templates in visual studio 11? RRS feed

• Question

• i installed sql server 2012, and then visual studio 11.  the business intelligence templates are not available in vs 11.  any ideas how i can install them into vs 11?
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• just a note...

i can run "sql server data tools" and it will open a vs2010 shell with the BI Templates.  but i guess i was hoping that since sql server 2012 and vs 11 are basically the latest versions of each, that i would finally be able to just have all my projects in the most up-to-date version of visual studio.  no?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

the BI templates will be in the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) which can be installed along with SQL Server during the installation process. BIDS for SQL Server 2012 is based on Visual Studio 2010, so you won't find any BI related templates in Visual Studio 11. Like in the versions of SQL Server before you will have two different versions of Visual Studio - Visual Studio 11 for normal app development and BIDS ("Visual Studio 2010") - if you would like to have the latest IDEs.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

has your question been answered? If so, please mark the appropriate post as answer so that other community members with a similar question can find help faster.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, March 23, 2012 11:17 AM