none
TDE (encryption at rest) with SSMS (management studio) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to enable TDE on my SQL database. My question is: Can I still use SQL Server management studio to do basic support tasks such as looking up user accounts, latest activity and view operational data. Or will I have to configure something on SSMS to handle the encryption? i.e.since database is encrypted at rest, will data still be viewable through SSMS without doing anything?

Appreciate your help.

Maneval

• Edited by BTI1 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:31 AM

Answers

• You can use SSMS for Azure SQL DB just like you use it for On prem SQL servers. 

TDE is already enabled by default. You may cross check it in Azure portal and set it to Yes there to enable it. 

If TDE is enabled, data is viewable in SSMS. TDE just helps to protect from unauthorized, offline access. 

Reference: Transparent data encryption for SQL Database and Data Warehouse

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

• Marked as answer by BTI1 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:53 AM

All replies

• You can use SSMS for Azure SQL DB just like you use it for On prem SQL servers. 

TDE is already enabled by default. You may cross check it in Azure portal and set it to Yes there to enable it. 

If TDE is enabled, data is viewable in SSMS. TDE just helps to protect from unauthorized, offline access. 

Reference: Transparent data encryption for SQL Database and Data Warehouse

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

• Marked as answer by BTI1 Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Thank you Vaibhav. Enabled it and SSMS works too. 
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:10 AM