taskeng.exe keeps flashing Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 4.6.1099.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Every minute my taskeng.exe comes on the screen.  It only flashes for a second. I got the info by recording my screen then taking a screen shot of the frame with the words, then writing them out in note pad.  Can anyone tell me what it might be that is causing this?  What task can I disable to get this to stop it is driving me buggy.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is all the text in the black box that comes up (copied the words etc the best I could):

taskeng.exe
    Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 4.6.1099.0 Copyright (C)

Microsoft corporation. All rights reserved.
    Locale, PublickeyToken. 

Version). The default is to interpret the assembly parameter as the filename of 
    the assembly on disk.  

/LogFile=[filename]
    File to write progress to. If empty, do not write log. Default is <assemblyname>. InstallLog
    /LogToConsole;{true|false} If false, suppresses output to the console.
    /ShowCallStack
    If an exception occurs at any point during installation, the call stack will be printed to 
    the log.
    /InstallStateDir= [directoryname}
    Directory in which the InstallState file will be stored. Default is the directory 
    of the assembly.

Individual installers used within an assembly may recognize other options. To 
    learn about these option, run InstallUtil with the pathes of the assemblies on the command 
    line along with the /? or/help option.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Did you make any modification on system before the issue occur? Would you provide a picture about this issue?

Try to update system to the latest version through Windows update in Settings\update & security, then perform a full scan with Windows Defender. 

Try to check if the issue occur in Clean Boot environment and Safe Mode environment.   

As .Net framework 4.6.1 is installed by default on Windows 10 1511 which has end of service since October 10, 2017. If you are using Windows 10 1511, please update system to the latest version with a Windows ISO image which will bring your system to Windows 10 1909.

Bests,  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 10, 2020 4:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 10, 2020 4:32 PM
  • I am sorry I did not get a notification that there was a reply.  I am using Windows 7.  I tried doing a clean boot but it still pops up every minute.

I am not sure if I can get updates.  Not sure where to go to get them.  I did remember there were some updates that did not install when I tried to install all the updates right before the date they said they were not going to support Windows 7 any more. So not sure if that is the problem or what but it sure is a pain in the butt and irritating. LOL  Hugs

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:48 PM
  • I installed all the updates and all were successful.  The actual message now on the top of the box is 4.8  not 4.6 and it has some numbers after that.  Even with a clean boot and all the updates installed it is still doing it.  It flashes so quickly I can not take a screen shot but above I typed out all the words that were in the box as I recorded my screen then stopped the video and wrote out all that it said.  You asked me to take a picture but I am not sure what you wanted me to take a picture of.  Please advise.  Thank you. Hugs
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:18 PM
  • Today, I uninstalled all Microsoft .Net Utilities on my system (Windows 7(

After I did that, the window does not pop up at all.

Once I installed the 4.8 version again, the taskeng.exe pops up again every minute on the minute.

It is driving me crazy as sometimes it just sits there empty black box and finally the words I all ready 

shared come up and the box closes only to return by then in 30 seconds.  Many times I hit the minimize as 

it covers what the hell I am doing.  It just seems someone should know how to get it to stop or

what is causing it.  I assume if it was a virus that it would not have gone away when I uninstalled

the microsoft.net install utility.  ugh  I tried the tool and it did not help either. grrrr

Saturday, July 25, 2020 11:17 AM