none
wipe new Surface Pro 6 drive and install WinX RRS feed

• Question

• We just purchased two new Surface Pro 6. We want to wipe the drive and install Windows Ten for security reasons. Can I use the standard media creation tool for this work?

We always wipe every new system, normally Dell PCs. In this way only the software we install is included in the image. We will also activate bit locker after we create a golden image to deploy.

This is our first SP. I hope Acronis will work for the deployment after the first build is completed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

KA

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:07 PM

Answers

• Just off the phone with Surface support. The generic media creation tool does not work. Instead one needs an installer specific to which SP you own. This will not include Office.

I asked about who installed the image shipped with this unit. They claimed none of that work was done by 3rd parties.

It seems there will be no benefit from a wipe and install. I will still have to seek permission to skip this step prior to deployment to an end user.

I forgot to ask about remote wipe ability.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:35 PM

All replies

• I should have also asked if we can use a local account and not the MS account, as we prohibit cloud in our county government?

I should also ask about boot to USB for the media creation tool. Assuming it is ok to wipe and install.

Thanks

• Edited by Swain IT Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:38 PM add new ?
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Oh, more SP6 ?s

What is quickest way to lock screen? The Win+L is missing the Win button on the virtual kbd.

Is a remote wipe option available for lost or stolen devices?

YES, on the sign in only on local account. So far it seems to act just like a PC.

Thanks,

KA

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:58 PM
  • Just off the phone with Surface support. The generic media creation tool does not work. Instead one needs an installer specific to which SP you own. This will not include Office.

I asked about who installed the image shipped with this unit. They claimed none of that work was done by 3rd parties.

It seems there will be no benefit from a wipe and install. I will still have to seek permission to skip this step prior to deployment to an end user.

I forgot to ask about remote wipe ability.

• Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:35 PM