none
Total resource hours by group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I'm new to Project and I'm trying to set up a view for my boss.
    I've been using Resource Usage to display Work, Remaining Available Resource Time & Overallocated.
    My boss wants to see the total available hours a resource has.  I know that it is Remaining available plus the Work but my boss wants to see the number (by Group).
    How do I get this number to display?
    Thanks
    Michael
    Sunday, December 22, 2019 3:54 PM

All replies

• Michael,

First of all, why are you worrying about this on a Sunday? Shouldn't you be out shopping or something?

But, the main question is, group by what (or whom)?

The available hours a resource has is given by the Work Availability. It is basically the sum or Work and Remaining Availability.

If I assume your resources are grouped (i.e. each has a defined value in the Group field on the Resource Sheet) as shown here,

then on the Resource Usage sheet the Work Availability for the two groups can be shown by grouping on the Group field (View > Data Group > Group selection box > More Groups),

to give this result in the Resource Usage view.

If my assumption is incorrect and your boss wants some other grouping, please elaborate and we'll help you out.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, December 22, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have our resources (workers) grouped by department.

I understand how to display just the groups with the resources hidden.

Now I just need a way to show the total hours a group has  on any given day.

Again, I know that it is Remaining available plus the Work but my boss wants to see the number (by Group).

Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:25 PM
  • michaelrothberg,

I'm confused. I just showed you how to use the grouping feature to see "the number (by group)". What am I missing?

John

Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:33 PM
  • How did you get the Work Avl. row?
    Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:33 PM
  • If I right click in the details column I get a drop down of rows I can ass to the chart. Work Avail. is not among the things I can choose.

To be clear I'm totally new at this so I may just not be understanding your explanation.  Sorry if that is the case.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:37 PM
  • michaelrothberg,

I understand. With Project you basically start out swimming in a pool of sharks.

Don't right click in the "Details" column, rather, double click in that column below the header. That will bring up the Detail Styles window from which you can chose which fields to add or remove. You can also get there via Format > Details group > Add Details.

Does that help?

By the way, don't "ass to the chart", it sounds like a runaway Christmas office party :-)

John

Thursday, December 26, 2019 9:01 PM
  • Fantastic.

Swimming with sharks indeed.  If only I had one of those cages.

Thanks

Michael

Thursday, December 26, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Michael,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your question, please consider marking one of my responses as the answer.

John

Friday, December 27, 2019 1:31 AM