none
Azure Server Distribution Point - Design Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Our SCCM primary site will be in Azure and few Distribution Point we are planning in install On-premise and few we are planning to install in Azure Server.

Question is , which one is best ''creating cloud distribution point in SCCM'' or ''creating distribution point  in Azure Server ''( I mean create VM in azure and install Distribution point  in that server )?

Thanks,

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It depends on the real environment you are in and your actual needs, I hope the following information is helpful to you:

1. If you use a fast and reliable network connection between Azure and your intranet with an unlimited data plan, hosting standard distribution points in Azure could be an option.
    2. If you use a metered data plan and bandwidth cost is a concern or the network connection between Azure and your intranet is not fast or can be unreliable, then you might consider other approaches. These include locating standard or pull distribution points on-premises as well as using BranchCache. The use of cloud-based distribution points is also an option but there are some limits on the content types supported (for example, no support for software updates packages). If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.

Please refer to the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/configuration-manager-on-azure#what-about-content-distribution-and-content-management-should-standard-distribution-points-be-in-azure-or-on-premises-and-should-i-use-branchcache-or-pull-distribution-points-on-premises-or-should-i-make-exclusive-use-of-cloud-distribution-points

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 74KMS Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

I think the above article mentioned this:

If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.
    I hope this is helpful to you.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 74KMS Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:52 AM

All replies

• There is no best. It depends on your desires and requirements. Keep in mind that managing systems is more than just making a DP available to them though and they must be able to communicate with an MP and SUP as well. It also depends on your connectivity to Azure.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

It depends on the real environment you are in and your actual needs, I hope the following information is helpful to you:

1. If you use a fast and reliable network connection between Azure and your intranet with an unlimited data plan, hosting standard distribution points in Azure could be an option.
    2. If you use a metered data plan and bandwidth cost is a concern or the network connection between Azure and your intranet is not fast or can be unreliable, then you might consider other approaches. These include locating standard or pull distribution points on-premises as well as using BranchCache. The use of cloud-based distribution points is also an option but there are some limits on the content types supported (for example, no support for software updates packages). If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.

Please refer to the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/configuration-manager-on-azure#what-about-content-distribution-and-content-management-should-standard-distribution-points-be-in-azure-or-on-premises-and-should-i-use-branchcache-or-pull-distribution-points-on-premises-or-should-i-make-exclusive-use-of-cloud-distribution-points

Best regards,
    Larry

• Marked as answer by 74KMS Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Thanks , one question can we use PXE if we host distribution point in Azure server ? I aware cloud DP's that's not possible ?
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

I think the above article mentioned this:

If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.
    I hope this is helpful to you.

Best regards,
    Larry

• Marked as answer by 74KMS Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Well, you can enable PXE but because there is no console access to IaaS hosted VMs, you can't actually PXE boot them or boot them from media either for the same reason. Thus, if you are planning to do OSD to Azure IaaS-hosted VMs, it won't work (without jumping through a few hoops).

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:23 PM