Project type .dtproj is not supported by this version of the application RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning.  I've had an issue getting Sql Server Data Tools to open anything from our existing BI projects.  I orignally posted in the SSDT and then the SSIS current release forum, but it was suggested that this forum may be a more appropriate place, as my symptoms are SSIS related.

I have been trying to install and do some preliminary evaluation with SQL Server data tools.  I have repeatedly run into the following error when I try to open an existing SSIS project to test upgrading it:

<Path> cannot be opened because its project type (.dtproj) is not supported by this version of the application.  To open it, please use a version that supports this type of object.  

In addition, I do not have the SSIS menu that I've seen in various demonstrations and web casts in the visual studio environment.  I've been using the web install version from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027.  I also tried the English version further down that page.

I've re-installed several times, including removing all instances of visual studio 2010 from my system, at one point.  When I did that, I did see the installer go out and grab the 2010 shell, but it ended up with the same result.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.  Has anyone else come accross this?

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:11 PM

Answers

• I've worked around this.  I grabbed the full version from MSDN.  Installing from that media granted all of the functionality.  I don't know what ended up being wrong with the standalone SSDT download, but it's no longer holding me back.  Thanks for any consideration afforded here :).
    • Marked as answer by Trev0726 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:07 PM