Registry key string values disappearing with SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to determine why some registry key string values are disappearing when Windows Server 2008 machines are restarting. In all cases, System Center Operations Manager is installed on the server. The registry keys whose string values are deleted are HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IISADMIN, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC, and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WAS.

The string value is the same in all cases. The string data item is called "Environment" and the string multisz value is "COR_ENABLE_PROFILING=0x1".

Does SCOM, or part of it such as the Avicode monitor, cause these values to be removed when a system is restarted?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Well, as a matter of fact we do use that key - when enabling Avicode/APM we have to set that key to load our profiler. But we should not remove it, unless instructed to NOT monitor that box anymore...

anyway, this is too generic and I am not sure what is the configuration you have here:

Is it OPSMGR 2007R2 on its own? OPSMGR 2007R2 integrated with Avicode 5.7 ? OPSMGR 2012?

Are you using another profiler and need to retain that? you can only have one profiler in the registry - either Avicode, or another...

I need some more information to understand the situation better...

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Yes, in fact I have a profiler that our customers install. A few customers, all of whom use either SCOM 2007 or 2012, reported behavior that indicated the registry entries we put in there were missing. I confirmed that that's what happened, and it occurs when they either do some form of app deployment or restart the machine. 

Would you be able to tell me what specific events occur that would cause those entries to be removed from the registry?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:27 PM
  • To be more clear, Daniel, what I need to know is if turning on specific features in the SCOM user interface (or through other means such as powershell) would trigger that removal of entries from the registry.

Thanks!

Bob

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Bob,

SCOM2007 will do nothing in that sense, unless it is integrated with AVIcode --> but that would mean you have TWO agents on the machine (the SCOM and the AVIcode agent), since they were two separate products... where you run your other profiler, you should not use AVIcode.

SCOM2012 installs the APM piece with its agent... but leaves it DISABLED until you configure it. While it is disabled, no rule that touches configuration gets applied to it. Once you do ENABLE the APM functionality, then yes, we will go and change the registry key adding ourselves (APM) as profiler... because that is what the configuration to tells us to do. If you REMOVE that configuration, we'll clear ourselves out of it.

But again, it requires configuration to be done -- otherwise, out of the box, we do none of this.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Hi Daniele,

Ok, let me see if I understand this. When you enable APM, the .NET profiler functionality is activated (thus the added registry keys). When you later disable APM, that is a configuration change that causes the registry values to be removed. Is that correct?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Bob

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Yes, that is how it is designed to work.

The actual CODE that does this is different in OM2007R2+Avicode5.7 vs the one in SCOM2012 APM, tho - so the behavior might not be identical across the two versions, but should be reasonably similar :-)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:24 AM
  • ok. Thanks very much for the explanation!

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:00 AM
  • Hi Daniele

I am having a similar issue with New Relic, however we need both SCOM and New Relic to be used on the server. New Relic suggests this is a known issue but we want both agents working. Is their a patch to prevent this from happening or is there a way to have both SCOM and New Relic to work on the same machine.

http://docs.newrelic.com/docs/dotnet/new-relic-net-status-monitor

http://docs.newrelic.com/docs/dotnet/known-issues-for-net

Thanks
    Judah

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Operations manager agent per se can be INSTALLED alongside other vendor's agents. BUT if you use other vendor's profilers, you CANNOT use the APM functionality on that agent. It's either OpsMgr's APM or someone else's APM. Again, it's a .NET thing: there can be ONLY ONE PROFILER actively registered on a machine.
    Friday, March 7, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Hi Daniele

We are using SCOM for infrastructure monitoring and NewRelic for APM.

Our SCOM APM agent is disabled on all servers but still on each deployment/IIS Reset/ Recycle, the profilers registry is being changed to SCOM.

How can I disable it so SCOM won't change the registry upon every IIS action? 

Thanks Ido

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:05 AM