none
Cannot open 300MB project in Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to open a 300MB project with Project Professional Desktop and after 1-2 minutes it fails saying Failure to load request in Soapreader.  Project is published in ProjectOnline.

Increased timeout in project pro to 5 minutes but issue continues.  I believe is not related to timeout because project opening fails after 1-2 minutes.  The server sends the 300MB but it looks like for some reason Project Pro cannot handle the size of the project. Cache size limit is 4,040MB. 

Project has lots of images used in a report which are the reason of such a large size.

Any ideas on how to configure Project Pro to handle larger files?

Miguel

Monday, October 14, 2019 11:27 PM

Answers

• I can comment but unfortunately I cannot provide a solution

300 MB MSP file is huge, and it should never have been necessary to allow it to be so large.

What you should have done:

At some point earlier, save as xml and open the xml file. I recently reduced a 25 MB file to 4 MB by doing this.

Pictures should have been sized to suit and saved in some economical format before being inserted into the reports.

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but that's all I've got.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Hi, I agree with all the points raised by Trevor.  All I can add is try and do this on a machine with the largest RAM and CPU and physical network cable.  Ultimately if you cannot open it you are a bit limited on what you can do (ie nothing!)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:15 AM

All replies

• I can comment but unfortunately I cannot provide a solution

300 MB MSP file is huge, and it should never have been necessary to allow it to be so large.

What you should have done:

At some point earlier, save as xml and open the xml file. I recently reduced a 25 MB file to 4 MB by doing this.

Pictures should have been sized to suit and saved in some economical format before being inserted into the reports.

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but that's all I've got.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Hi, I agree with all the points raised by Trevor.  All I can add is try and do this on a machine with the largest RAM and CPU and physical network cable.  Ultimately if you cannot open it you are a bit limited on what you can do (ie nothing!)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:15 AM