locked
Upgrading SharePoint Integrated SSRS from 2008R2 to 2012 (RC0) RRS feed

  • Question

  • I hope this is the right forum for this question...

    I have several farms that I've built that currently have 2008R2 SSRS integrated into them. We would like to update all of them to the 2012 version of SSRS and add PowerPivot for SharePoint to them as well. the test farm where I'll do this first consists of 3 SharePoint servers and uses a dedicated SQL2008 R2 instance in a failover cluster for its backend database:

    • WFE (also runs services and Central Admin)
    • SSRS (integrate report server only)
    • PP4SP (new server not yet added to farm that will run PowerPivot)

    I have a couple of questions about the best (or recommended) approach:

    1. Would it be best to remove the SSRS server and rebuild it, or can I upgrade it?
    2. I'm guessing that I need to upgrade the Reporting Services Add-in as well. Should the 2008R2 version (which was installed by the ShaerPoint Prereq. installer) be uninstalled first?
    3. Looking for the Reporting Services add-in I found the page Where to find the Reporting Services add-in for SharePoint Products, but the link there takes me to the download page for the CTP3 add-in rather than RC0; is this correct?
    4. Finally (and I realize there may not be an answer for this yet) - any prediction as to when RTM will hit and whether I'll be able to upgrade from RC0 to RTM? This won't affect what I do in the test farm, but it will influence how I move forward with the other farms.

    Also, I've been combing for install / configuration documentation - any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Mike:o

    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

  • Update...

    SSRS is up and running now. Kerberos turned out to be easier to configure than it used to be. Follow the model used for Excel Services in this doc and you should be good.

    One note about the referenced document. I've found in a couple of cases now that following the advice to run the Claims to Windows Token Service (C2WTS) as a domain account doesn't work. By default it runs as "Local System" and since it requires special permissions within the OS (but nothing outside the OS) it will run fine this way. In fact, the only way I've been able to get Kerberos working in a couple cases now is to revert this service back to "Local System". Initially it seems counterintuitive, but when you realize that it's essentially starting a new delegation chain with the current user's identity, and therefore not actually participating in the delegation chain, it makes sense.

    Hope that helps somebody!

    Mike:o

    • Marked as answer by moverholt Friday, March 2, 2012 1:45 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

  • Here's an update in case it helps anyone else...

    I went ahead and tried the in-place upgrade. I was able to eventually get SSRS to show up in SharePoint Central Administration, but somehow or another I ended up with it "running" on the the wrong server. Manage services on server showed it running on server-A (WFE) but the bits were installed on server-B. Attempting to start it on server-B would yield an "Error Starting" message. I ended up rebuilding the farm to clean up my mess. (No big deal, since it was a test farm.) This all seems to be working well to a point - I'm now trying to figure out the Kerberos requirements under the new services model. If anyone can point me in the right direction for that it would be greatly appreciated!

    A few comments for anyone else trying to do this:

    1. The Installation Wizard does install and start the service application (on the right server!) and I think this is a big part of what I messed up when attempting the upgrade.
    2. Ignore the link in my prior post for finding the SharePoint Add-in. The correct version is part of the ISO image I downloaded from MSDN and the best way to install this is using the SQL 2012 RC0 installer.
    3. I think that the next time I do this I will remove the server running SSRS 2008 R2 from the SharePoint farm, rebuild it to remove all traces of that SSRS version, rejoin it to the farm and then do a clean install of SSRS 2012 (RTM, probably).

    I hope that helps!

    Mike:o

    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Update...

    SSRS is up and running now. Kerberos turned out to be easier to configure than it used to be. Follow the model used for Excel Services in this doc and you should be good.

    One note about the referenced document. I've found in a couple of cases now that following the advice to run the Claims to Windows Token Service (C2WTS) as a domain account doesn't work. By default it runs as "Local System" and since it requires special permissions within the OS (but nothing outside the OS) it will run fine this way. In fact, the only way I've been able to get Kerberos working in a couple cases now is to revert this service back to "Local System". Initially it seems counterintuitive, but when you realize that it's essentially starting a new delegation chain with the current user's identity, and therefore not actually participating in the delegation chain, it makes sense.

    Hope that helps somebody!

    Mike:o

    • Marked as answer by moverholt Friday, March 2, 2012 1:45 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:45 PM