none
Registry process shows "[A device attached to the system is not functioning.]" for its image path. RRS feed

• Question

• Why does the registry process show "[A device attached to the system is not functioning.]" for its image path?

All devices on my notebook are functioning correctly to the best of my knowledge.  Device Manager does not show any problems.

My system is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Thank you.

Jeff

• Edited by jeffsmack Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:45 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff

Thanks for reporting. I confirmed that there is an issue here so have added it to our backlog. Will update once this has been resolved.

MarkC(MSFT)

• Marked as answer by jeffsmack Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff

Thanks for reporting. I confirmed that there is an issue here so have added it to our backlog. Will update once this has been resolved.

MarkC(MSFT)

• Marked as answer by jeffsmack Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:00 PM
  • Thanks, Mark.

Jeff

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Hi MarkC(MSFT),

I'm just checking in on this because a new version of Process Explorer (v16.22) was released on December 11, 2018, but did not include a fix for this.  The version when I first reported this on November 26, 2018 was v16.21.

I realize that this is not a serious problem, but just didn't want it to fall through the cracks.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Proposed as answer by Jeedza101 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jeedza101 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:14 AM
  • Like always! Rare are Microsoft people answers on this forum *that are to the point*!

You are most probably seeing that because whatever process you see is run in VSM mode. More on that here: http://woshub.com/virtual-secure-mode-vsm-in-windows-10-enterprise/

Quote: "You can make sure that the VSM is active if Secure System process is present in the Task Manager."

Quote: "This architecture allows to protect data in the VSM, even if the kernel of the host Widows 10 is compromised, because even the kernel cannot access the VSM directly."

You can also get info about the same process in TaskManager. You just need to know which process to examine.

M.K.

• Edited by Khallaf Friday, June 14, 2019 11:56 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 11:55 PM