Need better instructions on getting App-V client to SCCM clients. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need some additional help in distributing the App-V client to my SCCM clients.

I have imported the .SMS package into SMS, but something doesn;t look quite right in there.

this is the command line that is automatically generated...

setup.exe /s /v"/quiet /norestart /qn"0\"\"

What is the deal with that 0\"\" at the end?  I can't find any examples of this anywhere.  Also, why the specification of both /quiet /norestart and /qn?Please note that this command line is automatically generated when adding the AppVertMgmtClient.SMS package definition - not something I found on the internet or made up myself.

I would like to set the App-V cache size and the disk volume to use.

I'm trying...

setup.exe /s /v"/quiet /norestart /qn SWICACACHESIZE=\"8192\" SWIFSDRIVE=\"B:\""0\"\"

When I push it out like that, setup.exe just hangs - no error, but it also never quits.

I've looked at the instructions here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512024.aspx and they do not mention any command line customizations.   I've been to look here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843737.aspx but I can't figure out what stuff I need to set and what is set for my by SCCM.  Am I even allowed to specify a different default drive?  I can't find any place in the SCCM console where you can set App-V settings so I assume I need to manage them on my own either by setting variables in the setup command line or by using a GPO admin template.

On that page it says that a prerequisite is "Microsoft Application Error Reporting" is required.  The link takes me to "Report a Webpage Problem Internet Explorer 8.0 Beta Add-On"  Am I really supposed to download a plug-in for IE 8 Beta to get App-V to work with SCCM?  That seems weird.  I need to take care of installing these on my own right?  I sure would like some confirmation that I'm supposed to use a beta plugin for production App-V before I deploy it.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

actually I don't know SCCM but the command should look like this:

setup.exe /s /v"SWICACHESIZE=\"8192\" SWIFSDRIVE=\"B\""

your command had the cachesize spelled wrong and the drive letter must not use the colon sign. Also the /s make the command silent and if I'm not wrong the /quite or /qn are wrong.

Best regards

Reto

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Application Virtualization Client Installer Command-Line Parameters can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc843737(en-us).aspx

How to Install the Client by Using the Command Line information can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/cc843841(en-us).aspx

Hope it helps

Regards,
    Ment

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:18 AM
    Answerer
  • This helps a lot.  Thank you.

I was going by the information in the SCCM documentation at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512024.aspx

Like the documents you mention above, it states that Visual C++ redistributable, and Microsoft Application Error Reporting are required, however if does not mention MS XML.  Most importantly, it fails to mention that Setup.EXE takes care of installing these prerequsites when needed.

My trouble came from thinking I had to take care of installing the prerequsites on my own prior to deploying the App-V client.  I have left some feedback on the SCCM instructions so hopefully they will either flesh out the instructions a little bit more or refernce the helpful links you provided.

Thanks again.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:47 PM
  • What about the case where I need to reinstall the app-v clients.  For example, I need to change the mount point from Q: to X: on 2000 machines.  Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or can I just simply push out the package with the newly desired parameters and the changes will be applied accordingly?

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hello,

Since it can be changed in the GUI, I believe you should be able to change it via either a registry key or some other type of API.

Check theh login-consultants ADM-file for an example, or the client cache configurator tool?

And I would suggest you would use one of the other forums (such as the other one named app-v client) for posting new questions instead of reusing old threads in retired forums.

/Znack
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:44 PM
  • This is coming a bit late in the thread-but-I need to some direction with the client install using pure cmd line.  I have tried several mechanisms/line setup etc.

setup86.exe /s /v"APPLICATIONSOURCEROOT=\"RTSP://COTAPPV1.TALGOV.COM:554\" ICONSOURCEROOT=\"\\COTAPPV1.TALGOV.COM\\" OSDSOURCEROOT=\"\\COTAPPV1.TALGOV.COM" AUTOLOADONLOGIN="1\" AUTOLOADTARGET=\"ALL\" INSTALLDIR=\"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT APPLICATION VIRTUALIZATION CLIENT\\" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY=\"COTAPPV1\" SWIPUBSVRTYPE=\"RTSP\" SWIPUBSVRHOST=\"COTAPPV1.TALGOV.COM\" SWIPUBSVRPORT=\"554\" SWIFSDRIVE=\"V\" SYSTEMEVENTLOGLEVEL=\"4\""

What am I missing here?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:38 PM