none
Surface Pro 4 Docking Station drops Ethernet port RRS feed

• Question

• In the last week or so, my Surface Pro 4 Docking Station drops and/or disconnects the Ethernet port. The docking station's ethernet port either self-disables or disappears completely. At times it can be hours, sometimes minutes after rebooting - which is the only resolution so far. Tonight I was in the control panel and watched the port disappear from the list - just disabled itself then byebye from the list (went from Enabled to Disabled and then the port disappeared from the list).

In an attempt to remedy the problem, I followed the instructions found elsewhere in this forum – credit to meciii https://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/meciii/?ws=usercard-mini

• Open Network and Internet settings
    • Click on Change adapter settings
    • Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
    • Right click on the Ethernet port
    • Click Properties
    • Click on Configure
    • Click on Advanced
    • Click on Energy Efficient Ethernet and set to Disable
    • Click on Selective suspend and set to Disable
    • Click on OK
    • Restart Surface

When I tried the solution above, after clicking OK the process stalled (Not Responding). I had to kill it in the Task Manager to continue, then restarted.

I was able to change the network connection settings (disable Energy Efficient Ethernet and Selective suspend) and the computer stayed connected for about 12 hours before the ethernet port disappeared. It appears the Surface Ethernet Adapter was last updated 09/14/2019 (oem41.inf) and the Surface Dock Firmware update was updated 01/16/2020  (oem83.inf) - which is when I last ran the Surface Troubleshooter.

There are no longer any network adapter choices in the Advanced Power settings, and for grins I changed all the Sleep and Network Connection settings to Never. Still have the issue.

EDIT: I should add that I have been power-cycling the docking station as well. 

At this point I am stumped. This Surface was rock solid Ethernet network-wise since the day I bought it, until a recent Windows update (which always seems to mess up the video drivers for the dock, but that's another issue unrelated to this).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

EDIT 2: And now, in a strange twist, the Wifi port disconnects and disappears as well... The wifi is normally off until the ethernet port stops working. It then kicks on. I thought I'd seen this issue while troubleshooting this problem but didn't give it much thought. So now I'm thinking it isn't completely related to the dock at all.

EDIT 3: Ran sfc and dism, no issues found. Turned off the screen saver and set to "Never" the power setting for the screen. Still loses the ethernet port. The only restore point is from 01/14/2020 for the .NET and Marvell wifi/bluetooth drivers which is my next thing to try, then restoring from a 01/08/2020 backup, then a clean install if neither of those work.  

• Edited by rsattler Sunday, January 19, 2020 7:26 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 10:27 PM