none
Windows Server 2019 Pagefile on seperate drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to put a pagefile on a separate drive on Windows Server 2019 Core, and remove the pagefile from the C-drive using the following commands:

wmic computersystem set AutomaticManagedPagefile=False
    wmic pagefileset create name="D:\pagefile.sys'
    wmic pagefileset where name="D:\\pagefile.sys" set InitialSize=10000,MaximumSize=10000
    wmic pagefileset where name="C:\\pagefile.sys" delete

On Windows Server 2012R2 Core those commands worked perfectly.

On Windows Server 2019 Core however, a pagefile is created on D; but it seems it is not recognized by the OS.
    The OS has created a temporary C:\pagefile.sys.
    The command `systeminfo` shows only a pagefile on C:\pagefile.sys
    The command `wmic pagefileset` shows only a pagefile on D:\pagefile.sys

The registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ExistingPageFiles show C:\pagefile.sys
    whereas HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles shows D:\pagefile.sys 10000 10000

When I try to do this on a server with a GUI; it results in the same situation as above.
    Additionally in the File Explorer I see a temporary pagefile on C:\pagefile.sys; but I don't see a pagefile on D:\pagefile.sys.
    However in the 'Virtual Memory' GUI pane, it shows no pagefile on C; but it does show a pagefile on D with size 10000-10000.

Overall it's a very inconsistent experience, and what I wanted to do (pagefile on separate drive) simply does not seem possible anymore.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas what I can try to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!
    Regards,

Sander
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 1:55 PM

Answers

• Not sure whether you read my post right there Dave or not but the issue has nothing to do with a disk being available at boot???

Anyways...

Microsoft have now fixed the issue with a patch:-

Microsoft support just let me know that the issue has been addressed in KB4476976. I installed it on my test server and can confirm that it is indeed fixed.

It's listed in the notes as:

Addresses an issue that occurs if you create a page file on a drive with FILE_PORTABLE_DEVICE characteristics. The “Windows created a temporary warning” message appears.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4476976/windows-10-update-kb4476976

• Proposed as answer by Tefty Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sander Jans Friday, January 25, 2019 1:00 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM

All replies

• I just added a disk, initialized and formatted it, then using GUI tools moved pagefile to new disk without any issues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:48 PM
    Owner
  • Sander,

I am running into the exact same problem.  I create pagefile on E drive and set C to none via gui but after reboot its still on the C drive.  Is your C drive setup with GPT or MBR?  Mine is set to GPT as I have it built for UFI but wasn't sure if that was the issue.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, thanks for thinking along.

My C drive is setup with MBR.
    As Windows Server boots, the following error message pops up:

```

Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified.

```

Searching the interwebs did not bring me a solution yet.

I cannot yet upload a screenshot of my pagefileconfiguration, but will do so once my account has been verified.

Although the problem arises with both Core as well as with GUI variant of Windows Server 2019; I'm mostly searching for a solution for the Core installation of Server 2019.

Regards,

Sander

• Edited by Sander Jans Friday, December 14, 2018 2:42 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Maybe something similar here where the disk is not available at boot?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979386/you-receive-an-error-message-after-you-put-the-page-file-on-another-dr

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Dave,

That is not the case. However, I think I've figured out (part of) my problem.

Currently I'm building on ESXi; so I've tried the same on Hyper-V.

On Hyper-V there is indeed no problem at all! Hence my problem seems related to ESXi..

When (and if) I've found the solution and am able to build on ESXi, I'll post it here.

Thanks for your help and efforts.

Regards,

Sander Jans

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Same issue here after doing an in-place upgrade from 2012 R2 to 2019.

Getting an error every boot regarding temporary page file and indeed there is and the page file I specify on another drive is not there.

Hypervisor is also ESXi.

Love to know the outcome if you get a fix, will update if I find one.

UPDATE - Microsoft issue apparently known. Was fixed in November CU and then broken again in December CU... So awaiting a further patch from Microsoft...

Reference - https://communities.vmware.com/thread/600839

• Edited by Tefty Friday, January 4, 2019 9:01 PM Update
    • Proposed as answer by Tefty Friday, January 4, 2019 9:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tefty Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Same issue here after doing an in-place upgrade from 2012 R2 to 2019.

Getting an error every boot regarding temporary page file and indeed there is and the page file I specify on another drive is not there.

Hypervisor is also ESXi.

Love to know the outcome if you get a fix, will update if I find one.

I'd probably ask here as to possible reasons the disk is not available at boot.

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

Friday, January 4, 2019 9:02 PM
    Owner
  • Not sure whether you read my post right there Dave or not but the issue has nothing to do with a disk being available at boot???

Anyways...

Microsoft have now fixed the issue with a patch:-

Microsoft support just let me know that the issue has been addressed in KB4476976. I installed it on my test server and can confirm that it is indeed fixed.

It's listed in the notes as:

Addresses an issue that occurs if you create a page file on a drive with FILE_PORTABLE_DEVICE characteristics. The “Windows created a temporary warning” message appears.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4476976/windows-10-update-kb4476976

• Proposed as answer by Tefty Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sander Jans Friday, January 25, 2019 1:00 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
  • I can indeed verify that KB4476979 fixes this issue.

Thanks a lot for pointing it out!

Kind regards,

Sander Jans

Friday, January 25, 2019 1:01 PM
  • Today I installed a clean machine with 2019 1809 and patchlevel 2019-02. Issue is still there. Did a manual install of kb4476976 after 2019-02 installation and the issue is gone.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Today I installed a clean machine with 2019 1809 and patchlevel 2019-02. Issue is still there. Did a manual install of kb4476976 after 2019-02 installation and the issue is gone.
    THANK YOU!! I've been fighting this for 3 days!!! This resolved my issue. After installing this update and restarting the server moves the pagefile correctly.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:56 PM