Workgroup support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does Softgrid 4.5 support workgroup clients?

Thanks,

David

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

• this link might be useful:  http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=127
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 9:23 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The App-V application can run standalone so workgroup should be possible.

The Heavy Weight Server solution still needs an Active Directory.

With regards,

Ruben

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi Ruben,

Do you mean APP-V server can be installed on workgroup server ? But it will check domain membership when it is being installed .

David

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:07 AM
  • The App-V Management Server (HWS) will nott work in a workgroup. You would have to use the a streaming server (App-V

Streaming server (LWS), IIS or File server) and publish using MSI or just use MSI in StandAlone mode.

If you want an HWS to service machines in a workgroup, but users have AD accounts, you could use Saved Passwords to cache the user's credentials and then use the HWS.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Thanks. My scenario is we want to deploy Softgrid for our customer, but their clients are all in workgroup mode. We set up a AD and installed the management server in that domain. That domain is only for Softgrid. The client computers do not have accounts in the AD.

Would you please give me some points how to deploy Softgrid 4.5 RC in this scenario ?

Thanks.

David

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Building on a different topic from Brian and Ruben.

You customer has purchased MDOP which requires SA on the desktop and they have all their clients in Workgroup mode?  I am more asking the question as this seems rare. 

However, if this is what the client is doing as Brian and Ruben have stated you wouldn't be able to use a Management Server as it requires AD and SQL.  But the AD portion is the breaking point.

You would need to evaluate a few scenarios.

1.  Stand Alone mode for the clients where you would package the applications into MSIs and deliver them to the clients using some method that is not part of App-V.  Scripts, Group Policy (not really recommending this one), or ESD solution.  I doubt that they are using SCCM as that would be very challenging to do with no domain.

2.  Streaming Server, which doesn't have the requirement of AD and SQL, but there would be no publishing of apps to the clients without further scripting or some mechanism to publish the app to the user.

3.  IIS or File server that hosts the packages and again script their publish and/or stream to the client.

These are very non detailed instructions to achieve these tasks but each of these should be able to be done in a workgroup environment. 

I would really want to evaluate why an AD couldn't be implemented if they are looking at using a technology like App-V it seems it would be much easier to implement this and other technologies if an Active Directory was in place.

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:41 PM
  •  BoruRR [MSFT] wrote:

If you want an HWS to service machines in a workgroup, but users have AD accounts, you could use Saved Passwords to cache the user's credentials and then use the HWS.

Forgot to mention this portion of Brian's post.  And this should definitely work, but it would be fairly tedious to implement and keep this up to date.  Things like users changing passwords, would require some other mechanism to maintain this.

Good luck,

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:45 PM
  •  

Thanks, mattmcdermott.

I know this sounds strange, let me explain the customer scenario. The is a government customer (Legilative congress) and you can not ask the congress men to join the domain and let the admin monitor or manage their computers... (you know what I mean). So there are hundreds of workgroups in their environment. The IT wants to deploy AD, but most of the clients won't join the domain.  

They use SCCM and SCCM supports workgroup clients. They use App-V to solve the compatibility issues on Windows Vista.

Thanks.

David

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Daviee,

I now understand quite a bit more with that customer as I have experienced the fun in that sector before.

If they are using SCCM then you could easily user stand alone mode on the clients and have SCCM deliver the MSIs created with the App-V sequencer.  This would probably be the easiest but you do lose some functionality as of today.  With SCCM R2 there will be some tighter integration scenarios but I don't know all of those details right now.

Also as a note App-V won't necessarily solve compatibility issues with Vista.  Meaning if you can't run it local on Vista as a traditional install, there is no guarantee that it will run in App-V as a virtualized application.

mattmcdermott 

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Yes, I know Softgird may not be able to solve the problem, but this is the only way we can try if the customers do not want to revise their applications. Actually they are now have two plug-ins that can not be run on Windows Vista Sp1. we want to test if softgrid can solve that problems or not...

Thanks.

David

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Good luck,

I would probably look at using MSIs and stand alone clients then leverage your SCCM infratructure that is already built to support this, but other opinions may differ.  Also remember that certain features like active upgrade aren't available. 

mattmcdermott

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:27 PM
  • After some further thought and discussion with BoruRR, this should be possible as it was in previous versions.

This used to work in the older version where you would cache credentials (meaning user has to have AD account) or they would be prompted.

However I haven't had time to test this to see if it still works that way. 

I would say that if you have SCCM that and Stand Alone client right now would still be much easier to manage.

mattmcdermott

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Hi mattmcdermott,

Thank you for your kindly support and gave me these information. What we try to figure out is is whether a application that can't be run on Windows Vista and be virtualized by Softgrid. Can you share some experience about this ?

Thanks.

David 

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:53 AM
  •  Daviee wrote:

What we try to figure out is is whether a application that can't be run on Windows Vista and be virtualized by Softgrid. Can you share some experience about this ?

David,

Generally speaking, if application doesn't run on Vista natively running it with App-V won't likely change that issue (API differences, security related things etc. are things that App-V isn't able to "circumvent"). This is precisely the reason why MS bought Kidaro..

br,

Kalle

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:29 PM
  • this link might be useful:  http://www.softgridblog.com/?p=127
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 9:23 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:04 PM