none
Summary tasks suddenly changed to Milestones! RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help me? 

Here's what's happening: 

1. I open an existing project that I used for months with no problems, and it looks fine. 
    2. I close it, to come back to it later. 
    3. I open the file again, but this time, it's completely different. Every Summary task has now been marked as a Milestone. The little checkbox on Task Information has been checked, and the duration is now 0 days. 

Even if I unclick the checkbox, my Summary tasks won't calculate the duration of their subtasks. They'sre still set on 0 days. 

I've tried this over and over. I open an old file, it looks fine. I print it to PDF to prove that I'm not crazy. 

Then when I open that file again, the Summary tasks are all Milestones. 

Does anyone have any idea what curse has been placed on my MS Project?? By the way, I rebooted, I reinstalled Project, everything I could think of. 

Thank you for your help!! Cathy   

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:07 PM

All replies

• Cathy --

Be assured that the problem is with Microsoft Project and not with you!  :)  Even I had this same problem last month.

I just learned from my contacts within Microsoft that the behavior you are seeing is a confirmed bug.  A fix is currently in the works, but I do not know the date when the fix will be released.  To resolve the problem, save the project as an XML file, and then close the XML file.  Reopen the XML file and then create a new project in the Import Wizard.  Save the new file over the old one.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:04 PM
  • I am having the same issue. The XML file option works but you lose alot of the formatting and any baseline programmes that have been saved. Any idea when Microsoft will have fixed the bug?

Thank you

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

This is a known issue, we had the feedback that Miscrosoft is currently working on a fix. But so far so we don't know when the fix will be released.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:03 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

Just wondering whether you have had any further updates from Microsoft?

Monday, January 13, 2020 7:28 PM
  • Sorry we have no further information about a release date for the fix.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:23 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Just wondering if you had any further updates?

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:14 PM
  • Mr Shine --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  I believe I can answer for Guillaume since he and I both are Microsoft Project MVPs.  Microsoft rarely tells us WHEN they are going to fix a confirmed bug.  Instead, they simply fix it and then roll out the fix in the next software update.  So, since I have been personally impacted by this bug, I am as anxious as you are for the fix.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:31 PM
  • Thanks Dale for clarifying!

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:18 AM
  • And just to add to both Dale's and Guillaume's excellent answers, even when Microsoft release a fix you might not see if for a long time, depending upon the release channel you are on (assuming you are purchasing project via O365).   See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-GB/DeployOffice/overview-of-update-channels-for-office-365-proplus?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH for details on release channels and how you can change yours.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:17 PM