none
Surface 3 (not pro) Plugged in but not charging RRS feed

• Question

• So I picked up the Surface 3 (not pro) 4GB / 128 on Tuesday, and it seems the only way it will charge is if it's powered off. When it's powered on, even with the backlight at low levels and the keyboard backlight turned off, it will show that it's plugged in but not charging; even the charge percentage drops. I'm using the charger that came with it, the cable led is lit indicating there's power. I've even tried third party chargers including the 5 port Swees 2.1A charger but no difference.

Anyone else with a Surface 3 experiencing this? I'm curious if it's just me, maybe I need to swap it.

-Keith

-Keith Elkin

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:50 PM

All replies

• Same with mine, I left it on there over night and said I had 5% when I looked at it again.
    Friday, May 22, 2015 1:16 AM
  • Mine too
    Saturday, May 23, 2015 3:24 AM
  • Mine also does this about 75% of the time. It acts that way on the official charger, and tethered to a laptop or other windows phone charger as well. When plugged in, not charging the battery level goes down so it isn't using the power connection at all. This is a new Surface3 4GB/128GB.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:13 PM
  • You are not alone.

Ditto with my Surface 3. OEM charger plugged in, lit. Indicates "plugged in, not charging", until it runs out of juice and shuts off.  

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:55 PM
  • Ditto Surface3. Interestingly, charging my phone using the USB port on the Surface has no impact. Also, the plug appears warmer than it should be. I have a hunch this is related to recent update, as this just started happening.
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:05 AM
  • Having problems with mine charging, plugged into charger all night and the battery is dead the next morning.  Plugged in while using and says it is not charging.  Can't find any solutions for this problem.  I am very disappointed with the Surface 3, beginning to regret making the purchase.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:39 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. Has anyone found a resolution, or heard from Microsoft yet?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:02 PM
  • I bought a SP3 from Microsoft directly and it sporadically charges. I have the latest firmware an software, I upgraded to Win 10, I am using the supplied charger, etc...

I even tried other high capacity chargers. It has issues...my guess it that the issue is with the charging circuit or an issue with how the socket is mounted to the main board.

I am contacting MS and have it returned for repair or replacement. 

Microsoft, wake up and recognize this is a serious issue. There are thousands of blogs out there stating the identical issue.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Did returning it solve the problem?

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Right, It is odd. Sometimes it starts charging then stops. Often if i unplug the charger and plug it back in, it will start charging again. But not always. I tried some of the forum suggestions like "two button turn off," and nothing fixes it. 

This is an especially bad problem because there is no way to get a really good alert when the power gets critically low. It just shuts down and your stuck trying to figure out what to do with a dead battery and no feedback about what is happening. Plug in. Unplug. Hold down the button. Longer. Longer. What's going on? Nothing. Plug in. Unplug. 

It eventually starts after i waste five minutes each time. 

There are several icons at the bottom. Often there is a battery that shows a plug to the left in the system tray. You only know that it is not charging when you roll over it ("plugged in not charging") or when you click on it and it says something like "8%" with nothing else, meaning it is not charging. 

Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:32 PM
  • mine too. I`m very disappointed with surface 3 and microsoft
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:46 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  Did you ever get the problem resolved?
    • Proposed as answer by millie Moore Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by millie Moore Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:01 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 4:34 AM
  • Yes, having the same problem. It is intermittent, which is worse. Sometimes works fine. I thought it was the charger and switched to another and it worked for a while. Now it is about 50/50 and I always have to check to see if it is charging. When it doesn't there is no way to recover because it is dead and I don't KNOW if it is charging because obviously it isn't on. Quite annoying bug. 
    Friday, September 25, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Same here too. Three different units. Took #1 back to the store and they could not make it charge consistently. They replaced it with another one and it started doing the same thing shortly later. Then #2 dropped the sound system driver and they could not recover it so they gave me number three and guess what, It does the same thing. Plugged in not charging. The only fix I have is to un-plug and plug it back in. This will temporarily resolve it for a short period but it always stops again. Charges when off just fine.

Net result, of three brand new units, SAME BUG. Hmmm... What do you say to three in a row Microsoft???

I really hope this is software. If it is not, they better stop selling it until fixed.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:14 AM
  • Hope this thread helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf3-surfusingwin10/solution-charging-issue-in-surface-3-plugged-in/1f3586d8-5af3-47b4-91cd-fe0105473593

Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:22 AM
  • For those with a Surface 3 (the little guy great for travel, little brother to the PRO), if you're having charging problems - get a 20AWG USB cable (thicker/heavier cable). It's not your wall charger or some fault in design. I just suspect the 24AWG shipped with the device is too sheepish to carry the load and/or wrapping up a 24AWG repeatedly for travel lessened it's load ability.

• Proposed as answer by equalmonkey Monday, January 22, 2018 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Oh boy, Not liking these posts. I purchased my Surface pro 64GB on Feb. 4, 2016. Started having the same problem as everyone else I see on here. Mine was from Best Buy. Sounds like I need to take back and replace with something all around different.

If Microsoft knows there's an issue with charging these, then they should stop selling them. They are not cheap. I have tried everything and to no avail it won't charge. I can't even use it now as it's dead.

Come on Microsoft!!!! Get it together!!!!

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:08 PM
  • so did any one solve this problem as I have the same problem. Just spent 350 getting the screen fixed and now I cant charge it.

GBarbour

Sunday, August 21, 2016 4:04 AM
  • I returned mine got another one and it is doing the same thing bad thing is I had one that wasn't doing this it was out of warranty and I broke the screen paid an additional 240.00 to have a new screen and they send me now two that won't charge. I am totally considering seeking legal help on this one. I paid a good deal for the surface then expensive screen replacement just for them to send you products others have sent back with charging issues. When I first bought the surface it had to be sent back due to not charging first month I had it. this is absolutely terrible that Microsoft allows this to continue.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 12:03 AM
  • Well its now the back end of 2017, and there is no sign of Microsoft bothering their backsides to fix this issue (which is just the same on the Surface 3 that we have had for a couple of years).  This will be the last Microsoft product we buy.  Well done MS - you have totally pissed off another customer.....
    Friday, October 13, 2017 9:54 PM
  • I have the same problem with my surface 3. I plug it in to charge overnight and next morning it hasn't charged at all. I find the usb that plugs into the table is quite a loose contact and has to be in exactly the correct position to charge. It is a case of trial and error attempting to charge the tablet. Frustrating.
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:56 AM
  • I know I am a couple years late on this thread but I just mistakenly got a surface 3 and it is not charging. Does the 20AWG cable really work?
    Monday, January 22, 2018 3:03 PM
  • Hi have a Surface 3 too with the same problem.  It was purchased new from Microsoft and I've gone over the tech support "fixes" a few times.  They always assure you that they are very sorry, that you are the only person with this problem on earth, and they can "fix" it-- which amounts to having you download and reinstall the latest battery drivers.  It will work great until there are any other complex updates on the Surface, and then it reverts back to the same problem. 

I'm to the point I just want to pitch it and try a Chromebook since I cannot view enlarged Kindle images with the Microsoft Kindle Reader, and I really need to do that.  The Surface has a lot of great things going for it, but a lot of issues as well.  My philosophy on portable and mobiles is just buy something cheapish every year or so and upgrade it, because In a year your "high end" device is about equivalent anyway.  Or maybe I'l give the Asus or Dell a try.  I wouldn't buy another Surface.

• Edited by houseboy Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:08 AM
    Sunday, February 11, 2018 12:07 AM
  • The latest Win10 update breaks the charging again. Won't charge and will run the battery to zero shortening the life of the battery. FIX THE SOFTWARE or REPLACE THE BATTERY FOR FREE!!!

Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:43 PM
  • I have had so far 2 Surface 3s. The first one was new but deffective, so they gave me another...this other one has been with me for now about a year and a half and it has the "plugged in, not charging" problem. I have uninstalled the ACPI whatever suggested by Microsoft and then updated my Surface. NOTHING CHANGED. I then forced a shut down and started my surface again. NOTHING CHANGED. I thought investing in Microsoft tablets would be good but it's not worth the time I have spent on this problem. When this tablet dies for good, I won't be purchasing Microsoft tablets or PCs ever again. Lesson learned.
    Friday, March 23, 2018 5:44 PM
  • Exact same issue on my just-purchased Surface 3 4gb/128gb from a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:39 PM