Unable to open a database on a tabular server from SQL Server Data Tools RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I'm running the SQL Server 2012 RC0 Analysis Services in tabular mode, and from SQL Server Data Tools (i.e. Visual Studio 2010) I would like to open a database that I have previously deployed (and processed). For that purpose I use the menu item File -> Open -> Analysis Services Database, but when I enter the server name in the dialog that follows, I get this error message:
    "Tabular Model Designer cannot connect to the localhost server because the server is not running in tabular mode"
    This doesn't make any sense in my scenario as I am, as mentioned, running the server in tabular mode. 
    Is this an actual bug or is the errormessage simply wrong (if I am not supposed to open a tabular database from SQL Server Data Tools)?
    Best regards
    Dan Reving
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• I have the same question.

If I restore a Tabular DB, I cannot edit the relation or content.
    Because I don't know how to open the Tabular DB by SSDT.

Hope there's someone give the answer!

Thanks,
    Johnny 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hello Hanny / Dan

If you want to open the Existing Database which is deployied on Tabular Server - here are the steps which you need to follow -

In Data Tools
    Go to File -> New Project ->Analysis Services ->Select Import from Server (Tabular)

This is the only way available in Tabular Mode - for Editing already Deployied Database.

Another Point to keep in Mind - while deploying it back ensure that you will change the Project Properties else it will create a new Database on Tabular Server.

Note: Test this in Dev/Test Environment before doing it in Production.

Dan -> Option which you are trying will work only for BISM - MOLAP MODE, i guess there is GUI bug and I am going to file with Team.

Thanks

Karan Gulati {MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS, OCAP, OCP}|Microsoft DS Escalation Services|

Facebook BI Page|Twitter|Linked In|Personal Site|Blog Space

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi Karan

Thanks for your answer - I suspected as much, although I don't understand why.

If I am not mistaking when you develop a tabular database in SSDT you are actually working on a (temporary) deployed database on a tabular server. It is indeed so flexible that you don't even have to save your work before you can see the results in e.g. in Excel via the "Analyze in Excel" feature that is available in SSDT (very neat BTW :-).

So why shouldn't it be possible to work with a "permanent" database?

As far as the import functionality is concerned - am I right in assuming that the import will include the actual data, so that you in fact have your data twice (and more importantly - the memory consumption twice)?

Best regards

Dan

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:14 AM
  • As far as the import functionality is concerned - am I right in assuming that the import will include the actual data, so that you in fact have your data twice (and more importantly - the memory consumption twice)? 

Hi again

In the meantime I've found out that my above quoted assumption is wrong - it only imports metadata.

/ Dan

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Hi Dan, not allowing you to connect directly to a production database was a design decision taken by the product team. It's to mitigate risk in editing. There is no undo functionality in SSDT, so if you make a mistake you've messed up the production DB. Please feel free to file a connect item if you think that the feature should be added in the future.

Actually the import wizard typically does import data, so it will duplicate data and increase the memory consumption.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:24 PM