none
Turning off folder redirection while users folders are in offline mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Hoping someone may have had a similar issue. We had our SBS crash a few days ago and although it is back up now the shares that housed the folder redirections was lost. That being said I did have a backup for them so it wasn't that terrible. Now offline mode was enabled for most users and they do have their documents on their local machines however I want to disable the folder redirection completely and what I am unsure of is if I do that now while the users document, desktop and other folders are offline because the share that had the redirections is no longer on the server, will the redirected folders reappear in the user profiles? the policy is set such that when it is removed everything should move back to the local profile. I'm just worried that if I disable the policy the folders will not only not reappear but the offline folders will get messed up as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you! 

Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, prior to Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, users would transition between the Online and Offline modes depending on network availability and conditions, and there is no GP about always offline mode. 

Offline Files maintains a local cached copy of network files and folders on the client computer, so that the cached files are available when there is no network connection to the file servers. When the connection to the file server is restored, changes made to the files while working offline are automatically synchronized to the file server. 

>> After you stop redirecting users’ folders to the server, users’ must log off the client computer that is connected to the network, and then log on to allow the folder redirection Group Policy to update on the client computers. When the users log on to the server, the users’ redirected folders are downloaded from the server to the client computer.

Quote from “Stop redirecting users' folders to the server”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/cc875780(v=ws.10)

So, once your file server which is used to store redirection folders is available, offline folder should be sync back to server. And then, you can disable Folder Redirection and folders should be downloaded from server to client system.

Above is the theoretical logic, however, real production product environment can be effected by GP sync, network speed and etc. factors. And I had no test and identified this on my environment. I would recommend you to build a VM test environment to identify the details before any change on your production environment. Also, it is important to back up system/data before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, prior to Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, users would transition between the Online and Offline modes depending on network availability and conditions, and there is no GP about always offline mode. 

Offline Files maintains a local cached copy of network files and folders on the client computer, so that the cached files are available when there is no network connection to the file servers. When the connection to the file server is restored, changes made to the files while working offline are automatically synchronized to the file server. 

>> After you stop redirecting users’ folders to the server, users’ must log off the client computer that is connected to the network, and then log on to allow the folder redirection Group Policy to update on the client computers. When the users log on to the server, the users’ redirected folders are downloaded from the server to the client computer.

Quote from “Stop redirecting users' folders to the server”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/cc875780(v=ws.10)

So, once your file server which is used to store redirection folders is available, offline folder should be sync back to server. And then, you can disable Folder Redirection and folders should be downloaded from server to client system.

Above is the theoretical logic, however, real production product environment can be effected by GP sync, network speed and etc. factors. And I had no test and identified this on my environment. I would recommend you to build a VM test environment to identify the details before any change on your production environment. Also, it is important to back up system/data before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, April 22, 2019 1:05 AM