none
Microsoft DaRT and System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have been asked to forward this question here for further assistance rather than the regular Microsoft community forums. Please see below. Thank You!

Hi Everyone!

I really appreciate all the help I've gotten in my past postings! If you have been one to engage in some of them, you can probably gather that I'm hopeful to be a future technician! And thanks to all for the encouragement! :)

I love to learn! I have some extensive computer background, as well as some vocational / technical training as well, and I also do freelance computer repair work on the side to make some extra money :) I'm here today to ask another question, and I'm hoping for the best!

This one is about 2 troubleshooting / Diagnostic tools. a. Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) b. System Center 2012 Endpoint protection.

I want to learn about advanced troubleshooting techniques. My questions are simple: What exactly is the SCEP 2012? It's my understanding that it has been replaced with defender, malwarebytes, etc. Is it a tool? Or an information only thing?

As for DaRT, I am an assure software support subscriber, so it's my understanding that it's available to us. How can I deploy it on my machine? As I said I just want to familiarize myself with the tool and what it offers as a tech in the making. Do I need the help of a Microsoft engineer? If so, have any of you used or seen any free tools that are the closest equivalent to DaRT that I can run on my own just to acclimate myself to the different techniques? If so, which tools?

Thank you so much in advance! Any and all insight is appreciated! As I said, I love to learn and I have lots of ambition! :) - Mason

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:21 PM

Answers

• System Center Endpoint Protection was formerly known as Forefront Endpoint Protection.

In simple terms, Windows Defender (which is an anti-virus and anti-malware product), is self-managed.
    SCEP allows that to become a managed product, where the data from the client agent is centrally reported up to System Center Configuration Manager, so that as a sysadmin you can manage your endpoint estate/fleet, know they are compliant/protected (or which endpoints are not compliant/protected)

DaRT is a collection of tools and utilities, intended to be used in a WinPE-booted scenario (i.e. where there is no functional Windows OS).
    e.g., when you are deploying Windows OS to machines, if you are using remote tools or have somebody else at the machines (i.e. you are a remote sysadmin), without a successfully installed Windows OS, you can't diagnose issues.

DaRT provides (as one of several tools), a remote-control service+viewer, which will run within WinPE, allowing you to remote-control/view/assist the deployment technician (or end-user)

check the MDT or SCCM blogs for more info on these topics :)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by masonmac137 Saturday, April 22, 2017 4:37 AM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 9:56 PM