none
How can I downgrade a RDP client to an older version? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

How can I downgrade a RDP client to an older version (on a thin client)?

As for why: One of our departments received new thin clients earlier this year which have RDP client version 10.*something* on them. However, the department has barcodescanners attached to their thin clients and the barcodescanners do not seem to work properly on RDP client version 10 (the scanners now sometimes skip characters). On their previous, older thin clients which they ran RDP client version 6, the barcodescanners worked perfectly. Even though we've applied the exact same settings of RDP client version 6 to RDP client version 10, it doesn't fix the issue. We've also contacted the company of the barcodescanner (Zebra) multiple times but they also ended up not being able to help us out as they've tried everything they could from their side. They suggested us to either somehow downgrade the RDP client version or otherwise to buy new barcodescanners. Obviously we'd preferably skip the latter. 

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

Which version are you after?

This guys seems to have the same issue, with a resolution.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/revert-from-remote-desktop-app-from-version/408e7fb3-89f9-4f39-b599-c9a276cdc9d2?auth=1

"Thanks for your answer, but uninstall & reinstall gives me the most recent version of course, and not the version I want.

The solution - in short - is as follows:

Disable automatic app updates
    • open the Store
    • click on your profile icon and choose "Settings"
    • disable "Update apps automatically"
    Restore the old version

You must have a copy of the wanted version of the app, in our case Remote Desktop 6.3.

• uninstall the app
    • copy the RemoteDesktop_6.3.9600.16419_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe folder to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    Add the package to your user account
    C:\Users\user>powershell
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    PS C:\Users\user> Add-AppxPackage -Confirm -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_6.3.9600.16419_neutral__8we
    kyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"
    Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Performing the operation "Register package" on target "C:\Program
    Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_6.3.9600.16419_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml".
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y
    PS C:\Users\user>

Grant access to the app folder

Grant access to "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" (LOCAL user!) to folder "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.RemoteDesktop_6.3.9600.16419_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe"

"

Failed to notice it was Windows embedded, it might not work there, worth a try.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the support

Yes I've stumbled upon that thread as well :-) just where can I obtain RDP 6.3 if I don't have a copy of it? Considering the old thin clients which had RDP 6.3 are gone :-) 

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:08 PM
  • What OS were they on?

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:25 PM
  • This forum is for Windows Embedded POSReady OS.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 4:25 PM
  • I managed to get the files needed for version 6.3 mstsc from an old server. It's not an install package, so not quite sure if it will work as described in the previous post.

Never the less, I can open mstsc as version 6.3, as long as I keep the files in that structure as in my zip file.

Maybe it can get you through.

The below is a Onedrive link to the folder, which should contain a zip file named MSTSC6.3.zip

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au9wodcVeAwVsz2UCoA69j3-x62Z

Let me know if it works for you :)

Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:51 AM