none
Demote SBS Server 2008 and use as File Server only on new domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is our scenario:

We are inheriting a SBS 2008 Server domain controller from a different firm which runs Exchange and is also used as a file/print server.  We will physically add the server into our domain but only need it to share files.  (Their exchange data will be exported and added to our Exchange Server.)  

The thought is to demote the SBS Server and add it to our own domain, but I saw a post for SBS 2003 that says once you demote a SBS server it randomly reboots every hour.  Is this the case with SBS Server 2008 as well? 

The other option is to add the DC to our netowork as is and disable DNS/DHCP but I'm assuming this may cause problems on your network since it is a DC. 

Any thoughts on the best way to add this SBS Server to our domaina?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

-David

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• An SBS can't be a member server in a domain. It must hold the FSMO roles and if it doesn't it will reboot on a regular basis. You'll need a new non SBS license to repurpose the hardware.

Steve

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:49 AM
  • ok, so if I keep this as a domain controller (from a different domain) and add it to the network I'm assuming this would be cause some adverse effects?  I'm thinking now that I'll need to just transfer the files to a member server and reshare them out...thanks again.
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:52 AM
  • We are experiencing the same problems.

The SBS keeps rebooting. Can using a proper license key from Windows Server 2008 Standard do the trick for changing the SBS server in a Windows Server 2008?

Kind regards

Luc van Dun

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:17 AM
  • No, you need to wipe and use other media to reinstall with proper key

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:11 PM