can a subreport's header and footer be made to show RRS feed

• Question

• hi i just plugged my subreport into a master report's tablix.  and was disappointed to see the sub's headers and footers didnt show.  is there a way to make them show?  or do  need to cut them from the hdrs and footers and plug them perhaps as rectangles above and below what is now the body of the subreport?  and if so how can i get the footer to position along the bottom of the subreport?
    Sunday, August 16, 2020 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi

Unfortunately you can't do this because when you have subreport in your main report, only subreport's body part is visible. It is because report can have only one header and footer, so they are taken from main report only.

Also be aware that if you have a subreport embedded in a table, and any groups are set to repeat headers/footers, they will not print on subsequent pages if the subreport runs past 1 page.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

If your problem has been solved, please click "Mark as Answer" on my reply, thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Joy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by db042190 Friday, August 21, 2020 4:04 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2020 1:46 AM

All replies

• it looks like putting the original body in a pre sized rectangle forces the old footer after the rectangle.  I'll have to test this some more but it appears on rendering that the rectangle retains its excessive size and doesnt collapse to fit the tablix that is inside of it.
    Sunday, August 16, 2020 6:05 PM
  • Hi

Unfortunately you can't do this because when you have subreport in your main report, only subreport's body part is visible. It is because report can have only one header and footer, so they are taken from main report only.

Also be aware that if you have a subreport embedded in a table, and any groups are set to repeat headers/footers, they will not print on subsequent pages if the subreport runs past 1 page.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

If your problem has been solved, please click "Mark as Answer" on my reply, thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Joy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

• Proposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by db042190 Friday, August 21, 2020 4:04 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2020 1:46 AM
  • thx joy_zhao. 

my original subreport body is 2 tablix's side by side.  the right hand tablix takes the overflow from the left so the subreport never exceeds one 8.5 x 11 page. 

In the scenario i have shared, is the strategy of drawing a large rectangle (body rectangle) around the original body's two tablix's  valid if the idea is to force the subreport to fill out one page?  pls keep in mind that what was the subreport's footer is now another rectangle under the body rectangle.  and what was the subreport's header is now a rectangle above the body rectangle.   from what i'm seeing the rectangle appears to be retaining its size which would be good for me.

or do i need to fake rows in the body to use up the space thus forcing the "new footer" to the bottom?

Monday, August 17, 2020 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

Rectangles in SSRS report will always keep its sharp/size. So I think if you want the tablix be constraint in one page, you could draw a big rectangle to keep all context in it.

We could not separate a table's footer or header into different rectangles, unless you design static rows in different rectangles to fake as a header or footer.

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:47 AM
  • thx, my original header's content  is now in a rectangle above the tablix containing rectangle.  and my original footer's data is now in a rectangle below the tablix containing rectangle.  i'm hoping you understand that is where i was going with the question.   
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 12:15 PM
  • Was this the same case that you new opened here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/72288/subreport-spans-multiple-pages-when-saved-to-pdf.html

We would like to sum the cases together so we could work on it better.

Friday, August 21, 2020 2:37 AM