none
Sequencing dependent applications with App-v 5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying to package R-Project and R-Studio with App-V 5.1. (R-Studio requires R-project to run.)

I am sequence both applications together and everything run OK on the sequencing machine, but R-Studio fails to run after it has been published. When you launch the program you get two error messages saying "The code execution cannot proceed because R.dll was not found" and another error for "Rgraphapp.dll"

Any thoughts on how to get these two packages working together would be appreciated.

Thanks

Q

Monday, June 26, 2017 7:22 PM

All replies

• We're running R-Studio with R-Project as a separate package, together with a couple of other apps in a connection group, for about 2,5 year now I think. As soon as I'm back at the office next week, I'll check the package and it's documentation (I forgot what I did to get it to work).

Roy Essers

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:44 PM
  • We had R-Studio and R-Project working just fine with App-v 4.6. Just doesn't seem to work with 5.1. Not sure what I'm missing right now.

let me know what you find out Roy.

Friday, July 7, 2017 11:20 AM
  • Hello Roy, just checking in again to see if you had any time to look into this?

Thanks

Q

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Hi Quinton

Not sure how far you have got with this.

What I have done in our non persistent environment is install R-Project into e.g. the X: (a network drive) then package R-Studio. I didn't launch it during sequencing. 

There are a couple of registry keys in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R" which show where the R Install directory is.

Still have the problem that our My documents are redirected folders in our environment. I think it needs to use a drive letter. 

User is testing at the moment. R-Studio seems to launch ok. Using App-V 5.0 Sp2 HF4 at moment.

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

We're running both R Studio and R some time in production. Recently I had some PowerBI users that couldn't "see" R. But that was easily solved with the /appvve switch.

But you're having another problem. I'll start syncing my sequencing recipes (Onedrive for Bus.) .. I'll come back later. 

Saturday, September 9, 2017 6:35 AM
  • A summary of my sequencing recipe:

• Capture AppData (Remove [{Local AppData}] from exclusions.)
    • Sequence with -EnablePVADControl (install to C:\Program Files\RStudio)
    • Disable auto-updates in Options (GUI)
    • Enable VFS write mode (I enabled this to allow users to install packages from within the software, but it wasn't necessary after all)
    The error you're having with the missing DLLs could be solved by doing a PVAD install.  

• Proposed as answer by adblunt2 Monday, October 30, 2017 8:27 AM
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

We're running both R Studio and R some time in production. Recently I had some PowerBI users that couldn't "see" R. But that was easily solved with the /appvve switch.

But you're having another problem. I'll start syncing my sequencing recipes (Onedrive for Bus.) .. I'll come back later. 

UPDATE:

Actually I found out the issue -- was on a 64 bit machine with 64 bit PowerBI -- For whatever reason it can detect the IDE but not the 32 bit install of R. When I switched to 32 Bit PowerBI, everything worked great.

ORIGINAL POST:

Are you running both R and Rstudio in the same package?

I created a package with R and R Studio following your advice below, and it functions pretty well, but when launching power BI locally installed, it will detect the R-Studio IDE, but fails to detect the existence of R anywhere. I can resolve this by manually pointing it to the locally installed package, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong here.

This occurs with using either RunVirtual or appvve switch. There's currently no connection groups.

Got everything else working beautifully, users can install their own packages via R, and RStudio can see R without any issues.

Edit: I did default to C:\RSoftware and installed both items there instead though, since it will bellyache about installing packages via R if I install to Program Files).. But I had the issue regardless of what I set the virtual directory to.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:45 PM
  • I can confirm that I also was able to sequence (AppV 5.1) R and RStudio using PVAD.

All works fine.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Without using enablePVADControl, this can be fixed in the registry. Somehow, certain R components are not redirected to the VFS inside the bubble. For example, if R is installed in "C:\Program Files\R", the requests are not resolved to this VFS path.

Modify the registry values 'HKLM\Software\R-Core\R\InstallPath' and 'HKLM\Software\R-Core\R64\InstallPath' with a path containing [{AppVPackageRoot}]. In this case replace '[{ProgramFilesX64}]' with '[{AppVPackageRoot}]\VFS\ProgramFileX64'.  After these modifications the RStudio starts without errors.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:00 PM
  • You said 5.1, but just in case...

If on Win10/Server2016 then check this hotfix (out today).  Might be what you need.

1703 fixed in 2018.10  - KB4462939
    1709 fixed in 2018.10  - KB4462932
    1803 fixed in 2018.10  - KB4462933

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:33 PM
  • I tested it for RStudio with R for Windows. The update does not fix this 'missing dll'-case.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Does this recipe allows you to install/update packages?

I keep getting unzip permission denied errors doing the exact same modifications.

Friday, July 12, 2019 12:07 PM
  • You must copy the App-V file first, the sequencer cannot open a package if the file is in use.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Friday, July 12, 2019 12:20 PM
  • Hi Tim, I ment installing/updating an R package within the APP. Just sent out an e-mail about this one.
    • Edited by Bpe82 Friday, July 12, 2019 2:17 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Replied in kind.

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:18 PM