Surface projector won't unblank RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to help out a public library with their surface table. Their problem is as follows: the table starts as it should (projector works normally). But when entering Windows the projector turns blank and won't unblank again. I checked the event logs and this is what I found: 

The surface unit projector could not be unblanked because of a communication failure between out-of-order and the SCM service (System Control Module). The surface system will continue to operate normally but end users will see an empty screen until either the blanking time-out expires or the system is power-cycled. Verify that the SCM service is installed and running and check the SCM service event log for errors.

I also found this but I'm don't know if it has to do with it: 
    failed to connect to an IPC port the system cannot find the file specified

I tried to lower the ProjectorBlankingTime to 5 but this did not help.

The only way I can start the table is in Safe mode with an external screen connected.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Kind regards,
    Rick

df

Monday, December 6, 2010 10:25 AM

Answers

• What version of Surface are you running?  And is it Vista RTM, SP1, SP2?

Is the machine up to date on Windows Update patches?  We saw a similar issue in the fall of 2008 due to a bug in the initial release of .NET 3.5 SP1, but that issue has since been fixed in public updates of 3.5 SP1.  I can't imagine how you would be just running into this issue at this point, but just in case...

Before the fix shipped, we used this as a workaround.  You might try this from safe mode:

1.     Start explorer.

2.     Go to %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Surface\v1.0

3.     Right-click on SurfaceOutOfOrder.exe and select Properties.

4.     Go to the Compatibility tab.

5.     Click “Show settings for all users”.  This may pop up a UAC window – press Continue if so.

6.     Check “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” from the combo box.

7.     Press OK.

8.     Press OK again.

However, this .NET bug only caused the projector to blank after you had been sitting at the Windows login screen for 10 seconds without moving the mouse/keyboard.  It sounds like it's blanking faster than that in your case, so this may be totally unrelated.

If this isn't it, I'd suggest going through our standard support channels.  CSS may have some ideas for you.

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:52 PM

All replies

• Verify that the SCM service is installed and running and check the SCM service event log for errors.

Did you do this?  Anything interesting in the ScmService\Operational log?  I'm not sure how the projector would get blanked if the SCM service wasn't running, but it's worth looking at this anyway.

Does the screen blank immediately when you log in as an admin?

Btw, when you're not in safe mode, does the external monitor display anything?  It should.  Projector blanking only controls the touch display not the VGA port.

Monday, December 6, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

I checked ScmService\Operational and it gives no errors there, just information messages telling that the projector was succesfully blanked.

The screen gets blank before I even have time to login as admin. Sometimes the login screen shows up for about 1 or 2 seconds before it disappears.

When I start (not in safe mode) with a screen connected I see Windows booting but when Windows has been loaded the external screen gets no signal anymore... So I'm kind of stuck here..

Thanks,

Rick

Monday, December 6, 2010 6:48 PM
  • What version of Surface are you running?  And is it Vista RTM, SP1, SP2?

Is the machine up to date on Windows Update patches?  We saw a similar issue in the fall of 2008 due to a bug in the initial release of .NET 3.5 SP1, but that issue has since been fixed in public updates of 3.5 SP1.  I can't imagine how you would be just running into this issue at this point, but just in case...

Before the fix shipped, we used this as a workaround.  You might try this from safe mode:

1.     Start explorer.

2.     Go to %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Surface\v1.0

3.     Right-click on SurfaceOutOfOrder.exe and select Properties.

4.     Go to the Compatibility tab.

5.     Click “Show settings for all users”.  This may pop up a UAC window – press Continue if so.

6.     Check “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” from the combo box.

7.     Press OK.

8.     Press OK again.

However, this .NET bug only caused the projector to blank after you had been sitting at the Windows login screen for 10 seconds without moving the mouse/keyboard.  It sounds like it's blanking faster than that in your case, so this may be totally unrelated.

If this isn't it, I'd suggest going through our standard support channels.  CSS may have some ideas for you.

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:52 PM