none
Issue with Surface Type Cover - Surface Pro 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Surface Pro 4 that is used by one of my workplace's employees (i'm in the business's IT Department), and recently the Surface stopped working with any Surface Type Cover we attach to it. Windows 10 will pop up and say "Your device is ready to go!" and it will install the drivers just fine. It shows up in Settings > Devices, as well as in Device Manager as "Surface Pro Type Cover Filter". Windows does not report any issues with the device, and using the Troubleshoot tool when right clicking the device in "Devices and Printers" section of the control panel does nothing. All other USB devices work. That includes wireless keyboard/mouse combo we have plugged into the dock (which I've tried all the below tests with and without being connected).

However, the keyboard and touchpad on any type cover we attach remain unresponsive, and the backlights do not come on. There is only ONE instance where i have found the touchpad to work, and that is in the UEFI settings after you turn it on while holding the volume+ button, and only after pressing the Caps Lock key once. It's completely bizarre. 

I've tried the following:

1. Detaching and cleaning contacts between the surface and type cover, then re-attaching it

2. Two button reset (Power button + Volume Up button for 30 seconds)

3. Installing all Windows updates, and Firmware Drivers for Surface Pro 4

4. Rolling back Windows Updates

5.Reinstalling Drivers for the device (including all USB hubs/controllers)

6. Ensuring any and all services that may interfere with driver installation are running, or triggers are set correctly

7. Resetting Windows

8. Ensuring that "filter keys" was not turned on (found that in another forum post)

9. Doing a clean install of Windows 10 via USB (both 1703, as well as 1709).

10. Changing power settings to all USB Devices in device Manager

11. Disabling/Re-enabling the Type Cover port in the BIOS

12. Disabling all devices EXCEPT Type Cover port in the BIOS (to see if it's a power draw issue).

13. Running the Surface Diagnostic Tool (probably should have been earlier in the list, but this didn't work either).

I am at a loss as to what it could be. The same type cover we use with this device works perfectly fine with all other Surfaces we deploy. Any suggestions/ideas from some of the veterans on here? Is there a registry key setting that would miraculously fix this issue?

Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:54 PM

All replies

• Oh, poor you (and me, too)

I have the same problem with my Surface pro4:( And hope to find a solution

PS: the giant guy, who made this bad thing for us and forgot us with that thing

Saturday, March 3, 2018 8:21 AM
  • I took it to a Microsoft Store today, and was told this is a thing they've seen happen 3 or 4 times. The port just stops functioning like it should, and each time they swap the Surface out (so long as it's still under Warranty). Tragically, they did not have the same Surface in stock, so I'm going to have to call the number they gave me...

I really wish there was some fix for this though, seeing as there's quite a few people with the same issue.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:21 PM
  • I have a Surface Pro 4 that is used by one of my workplace's employees (i'm in the business's IT Department), and recently the Surface stopped working with any Surface Type Cover we attach to it. Windows 10 will pop up and say "Your device is ready to go!" and it will install the drivers just fine. It shows up in Settings > Devices, as well as in Device Manager as "Surface Pro Type Cover Filter". Windows does not report any issues with the device, and using the Troubleshoot tool when right clicking the device in "Devices and Printers" section of the control panel does nothing. All other USB devices work. That includes wireless keyboard/mouse combo we have plugged into the dock (which I've tried all the below tests with and without being connected).

However, the keyboard and touchpad on any type cover we attach remain unresponsive, and the backlights do not come on. There is only ONE instance where i have found the touchpad to work, and that is in the UEFI settings after you turn it on while holding the volume+ button, and only after pressing the Caps Lock key once. It's completely bizarre. 

I've tried the following:

1. Detaching and cleaning contacts between the surface and type cover, then re-attaching it

2. Two button reset (Power button + Volume Up button for 30 seconds)

3. Installing all Windows updates, and Firmware Drivers for Surface Pro 4

4. Rolling back Windows Updates

5.Reinstalling Drivers for the device (including all USB hubs/controllers)

6. Ensuring any and all services that may interfere with driver installation are running, or triggers are set correctly

7. Resetting Windows

8. Ensuring that "filter keys" was not turned on (found that in another forum post)

9. Doing a clean install of Windows 10 via USB (both 1703, as well as 1709).

10. Changing power settings to all USB Devices in device Manager

11. Disabling/Re-enabling the Type Cover port in the BIOS

12. Disabling all devices EXCEPT Type Cover port in the BIOS (to see if it's a power draw issue).

13. Running the Surface Diagnostic Tool (probably should have been earlier in the list, but this didn't work either).

I am at a loss as to what it could be. The same type cover we use with this device works perfectly fine with all other Surfaces we deploy. Any suggestions/ideas from some of the veterans on here? Is there a registry key setting that would miraculously fix this issue?

Driver problem. Microsoft change the keyboard drivers(august 2017). So if you at the new typecover it will probally work.
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:29 AM
  • Troubleshoot your Surface Type Cover or keyboard

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:57 PM
  • Ok so I have been having a very similar problem with my surface pro 4 type cover. It has been a very weird issue but i think i have discovered the issue with mine.

At least on my computer i have recognized a flaw in the magnetic sensor system inside the computer. It seems to have nothing to do with the key board. My keyboard will work sometimes but then once it is flipped around so that the computer is in tablet mode (the keyboard is not fully detached just the bar magnet that attaches across the bottom of the screen is detached) the keyboard stops working once it is reattached. This led me to believe that their is some internal circuit that gets activated by the magnet in the keyboard. This does not have anything to do with the key board driver. 

So, to fix this you need to go into you "device manager" and scroll down to you HID sensors, it says something along the lines of "HID Sensor Collection V2" in the drop down. Right click on this and go to properties > update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > "let me pick from available drivers on my computer" > then choose the other version "HID-compliant Device".

This will change the software for those magnetic sensors in your computer. Then do the normal routine of Shutdown/Restart and let everything reboot. This worked for me after weeks of trying to figure out this problem. I hope it works for everyone else. 

Take care and good luck.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by michaelcheng50 Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:36 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:34 AM