none
Cant find driver package in auto apply option RRS feed

• Question

• I imported and created a new driver package for a computer model 2 days ago and I am trying to auto apply the driver in our task sequence but I cant find the driver package option from the list

but when I use the "Apply driver package", I can locate the driver, my understanding is that the auto apply option is supposed to automatically populate, so what I'm I doing wrong ? 

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Sovrano,

Based on my experience, the "Auto Apply Drivers" action relies on using Plug and Play (PnP) detection to discover hardware devices using the Vendor IDs and Device IDs. The automatic detection works reasonably well but completely fails for devices such as unplugged devices (i.e. printers, USB devices), built-in devices that may be disabled (i.e. wireless connections with an on/off switch), and software-drivers that may not be detected by PnP detection within WinPE (since that is where this specific TS action executes). Please check the following:

1. The Apply Driver Package step is useful to install a specific set of drivers. These types of drivers include devices that Windows plug-and-play doesn't detect, such as network printers.
    2. Some devices 'only' appear with correct IDs after a 'base' driver was installed (happens on a couple of USB dongles that 'switch' between disk and other modes); for those, Auto-Apply generally does not work as expected (WinPE only reports the initial IDs, not the morphed ones).
    3. Stand-alone media can't use the Auto Apply Drivers step. The task sequence has no connection to the Configuration Manager site in this scenario.

Hope it helps. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:08 AM