none
Project Desktop Application - Calendar Setting RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I am working with MS Project I am confused with the Start/Finish. When I try to apply a start/finish date ranging in 8hrs or less the behavior is the same but when I try to apply a start/finish ranging 12hrs/day, the behavior of the date range will become 24hrs. 

Note:

I am using aN "auto scheduled"

I created a customized calendar in "Change Working Time" and aligned with Project Option>Schedule

Applied the customized calendar to "Timescale" - Right click >Non Working Time.. > Calendar

Applied also the customized calendar to Project > Project Information > Calendar

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT BELOW FOR REFERENCE

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As per your screenshots, my first comment is that the project start date in the project information should be 6:00am where as it is 8:00am. This should help.

It is because your 12hrs task starts at 8 and not 6am, so since it has to stop at 6pm, it is only 10hrs long on the current day. Thus it remains 2 hrs on the next day. That is why it finishes at 8am on the next day.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Guillaume is absolutely right. The issue is that when you created Project 1, the Project Start time defaulted to 0800am.  The fact that you then changed the calendar and default times for tasks doesn't impact the Project Start time; so in this case, you need to modify it.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Yoe --

In additional to the excellent answers provided by my colleagues, what you need to do to resolve this problem is to navigate to the Project Information dialog and manually type the following in the Start Date field:

09 October 2019 6:00 AM

Doing so forces the project to start at 6:00 AM on the first day and this should resolve your scheduling problems.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per your screenshots, my first comment is that the project start date in the project information should be 6:00am where as it is 8:00am. This should help.

It is because your 12hrs task starts at 8 and not 6am, so since it has to stop at 6pm, it is only 10hrs long on the current day. Thus it remains 2 hrs on the next day. That is why it finishes at 8am on the next day.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi Sir Rouyre,

Good Morning. I am still confused, after changing the setting to make it 6am-6pm. The "Project Information" from the 4th screenshot, the start time is 8am-8am. Is it normal to modify that manually(manual input of time) to make it 6am-6pm?

Thank You

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Guillaume is absolutely right. The issue is that when you created Project 1, the Project Start time defaulted to 0800am.  The fact that you then changed the calendar and default times for tasks doesn't impact the Project Start time; so in this case, you need to modify it.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Yoe --

In additional to the excellent answers provided by my colleagues, what you need to do to resolve this problem is to navigate to the Project Information dialog and manually type the following in the Start Date field:

09 October 2019 6:00 AM

Doing so forces the project to start at 6:00 AM on the first day and this should resolve your scheduling problems.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:13 PM