none
MRO 3.6 coming? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

R is moving along quickly, with the recent release of R 3.6, will MRO move on from 3.5.3, and follow suit with 3.6 soon?

cheers

Monday, June 3, 2019 1:59 AM

All replies

• Waiting for this as well.
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 4:02 AM
  • Any update on this? We're at R 3.6.1 now.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Going into August... any ETA? I've been delaying migrating to a newer version until Microsoft R Open 3.6.0+ is released.

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:24 PM
  • If Microsoft is not going to maintain Microsoft R Open longer (R + MKL) could Microsoft at least "pass the ball" to RStudio so that they can continue such builds? (Or other interested maintainers)
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Microsoft, please clarify what you're doing with this product. Those of us you convinced to use it deserve better.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:07 PM
  • I was on 3.4.X and was waiting until 3.6.0+ was coming out, my work laptop has a lot of corporate security software interferes with installing R and new packages so a lot of manual work has to be done (and God forbid you get an incompatible package with your base R version). With the rise of depending on 3.5.0+ R and Microsoft's silence for months on a new version, I gave up waiting. And really all it would of taken was 1 post of Microsoft to clarify around the release of Microsoft R open, even if it's just a sorry it's delayed, and I probably would of held off for a bit longer.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Well, I'm giving up.

I'm starting to have troubles with base package versions not supporting 3.5.3 (seriously, already!), and it downloading older packages from Cran; and compilation with latest Rtools becoming problematic.

I'm not an R ninja which would probably help.

This is really sad because the extensions that MS did for ROpen are really awesome. What on earth is going on?

For now, I'm moving back to the standard R distro (somewhat begrudgingly) (3.6.1).

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:47 PM
  • I understand. I'm going to hold out for an announcement. They had that survey a few months back. I'm hoping that means there's a plan. I hope someone develops a simple way to add multi-threading, or Microsoft hands this off to RStudio as suggested.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:25 PM
  • Well, it's now December 2.  The world has been on 3.6.x since April.  CRAN has scheduled 3.6.2 in 10 days.

Has Microsoft said anything about this?

Monday, December 2, 2019 5:31 AM
  • killed RTVS in VS 2019

took months to release 3.5.3and no movement since then

seems MS has dropped any R development. no need to wait for an announcement. sad, but pretty clear
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 5:09 AM
  • Here is a short recipe to get Intel MKL up and running with R 3.6.2, just by copying across some of the Intel MKL BLAS files from Microsoft R Open to R 3.6.2, this is easier than having to recompile the whole of R against the Intel MKL libs :

1. Install the latest version of R from https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/, i.e. currently R 3.6.2
     2. Install Microsoft R Open from https://mran.microsoft.com/download, which comes with the outdated R version 3.5.3 but also with the Intel MKL multithreaded BLAS libraries
     3. copy files libiomp5md.dll, Rblas.dll and Rlapack.dll from C:\Program Files\Microsoft\R Open\R-3.5.3\bin\x64 to C:\Program Files\R\R-3.6.2\bin\x64 (you can back up your existing default non-hyperthreaded Rblas.dll and Rlapack.dll files first if you like)
     4. copy Microsoft R Open libraries/packages MicrosoftR, RevoIOQ, RevoMods, RevoUtils, RevoUtilsMath and doParallel from C:\Program Files\Microsoft\R Open\R-3.5.5\library to your default package directory, e.g. C:\Documents\R\win-library\3.6
     5. copy files Rprofile.site and Renviron.site from directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft\R Open\R-3.5.5\etc to C:\Progral Files\R\R-3.6.2\etc
     6. replace line 24 in file Rprofile.site `options(repos=r)` with  `options(repos="https://cran.rstudio.com")` (or "https://cran.revolutionanalytics.com", the MRO repository that has the latest daily builds of all packages) to make sure that it will install the latest CRAN packages as opposed to the outdated mran.microsoft.com mirror that has outdated package versions, frozen at the 15th of April 2019. Also comment out lines 153, 154 and 155 with a #

Then restart RStudio to check that it works, with small SVD benchmark on my Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz 4 core/8 thread laptop:

getMKLthreads()

# Singular Value Decomposition
        m <- 10000
        n <- 2000
        A <- matrix (runif (m*n),m,n)
        system.time (S <- svd (A,nu=0,nv=0))
           user  system elapsed
          15.20    0.64    4.17

That same benchmark without Intel MKL installed ran at

user  system elapsed
          35.11    0.10   35.21

so we get a >8 fold speed increase here!

Alternatively, if you don't like copying files from MRO to your latest R installation, you can also copy the files from the free Intel MKL to your R installation to get multithreaded operation (as outlined here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38090206/linking-intels-math-kernel-library-mkl-to-r-on-windows):

Install Intel MKL from https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl/choose-download (free)
    1. Copy all the contents from inside these folders
    C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries\windows\redist\intel64\mkl
    C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries\windows\redist\intel64\compiler

to

C:\Program Files\R\R-3.6.1\bin\x64

Inside the destination folder, create 2 copies of mkl_rt.dll and rename one of them Rblas.dll and the other Rlapack.dll replacing the originals and also keeping mkl_rt.dll.

3. This will not provide you with the function setMKLthreads() and getMKLthreads() functions though to set the nr of intel MKL threads, as these come with the MRO package RevoUtilsMath. But for most people the default nr of threads set equal to the nr of physical cores will be OK though...

Not sure what's up with Microsoft, and why they are no longer updating MRO... And why they also dropped Mac OS X support... A real shame, as having good multithreaded BLAS libraries up and running also on Windows is really nice... Otherwise we all just have to move over to Ubuntu, where it's easy enough to get Intel MKL up and running (https://github.com/eddelbuettel/mkl4deb).

PS Slight problem is that running setMKLthreads(4) will crash RStudio (that was already a documented problem in the official MRO 3.5.3 though as well) but it does work OK in the R console...

Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:16 PM
  • This works well thanks for the guidance.
    Wednesday, January 1, 2020 4:46 PM
  • This is so disappointing. If Microsoft is giving up on R they should simply say so. If not, at least give a some kind of time line for when we can expect MS to catch up with the R release schedule. Then we would could take appropriate action.

It's not hard. Just tell us!

Thursday, January 30, 2020 4:08 PM
  • It's all about expectations Microsoft - that is the important thing with customer experience. To SuneKarlsson's point, even if internally there's no confirmed decision what to do with MRO, at least say that because that's better than the void we currently are in.
    Friday, January 31, 2020 5:21 PM
  • Totally agree. Not sure why they can't communicate.
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 3:32 PM
  • We've swapped to standard R + this to map Intel MKL to get it working: https://stackoverflow.com/a/56560870/745908

Unlike the other copy the MRO dlls this solution doesn't breach the MRO license: https://mran.microsoft.com/assets/text/mkl-eula.txt

Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:15 PM
  • It's possible to set the number of threads used by MKL, though unlike setMKLthreads() in MRO you can't change it "on the fly" -- it's set for an entire R session, and to make a change you have to close the session and start a new one. 

Here's the trick. To set the number of threads to 3 (for example), add the line

Sys.setenv(MKL_NUM_THREADS=3); A=matrix(0.2,5,5)+diag(5); s=solve(A); s=svd(A);

at the very end of Rprofile.site. The bit of matrix algebra is there because the number of threads is set on the first call to the MKL library.

It's a kludge - you have to edit Rprofile.site if you want a different number of threads next time. But it let me do a calculation that crashed CRAN R with "factory" BLAS, and with OpenBLAS swapped in (where I couldn't figure out how to limit the number of threads) it sent my PC into "overheating, emergency shutdown" mode.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 10:01 PM
  • Microsoft, just admit this isn't your bag after all.  Like MP3 players, phones, hardware in general, search engines, etc.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 2:31 PM
  • A posting on the Revoluton Analytics blog dated 27th April 2020 suggests that MRO will be updated after the release of R 4.0.1 (yippee!)
    Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:24 AM
  • This cannot come soon enough! Brillant news.
    Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:17 AM
  • I have been checking Microsoft R Open page and these forums like every 3 days for almost a year now, glad there's some indication on what is being done still confused why there was no communication about it
    Friday, May 15, 2020 9:59 PM