none
Surface Book (1) wireless speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've had my Surface Book since its' initial release, and have had nothing but problems with speed on the wireless adapter.  I have a high power dual band access point which will provide up to 300mbps on 2.4ghz and up to 1300mbps on 5ghz.  On 2.4ghz, the Surface Book will constantly change speeds, ranging from 10mbps up to a max of about 125mbps. Watching the connection speed is like a rollercoaster.  On 5ghz, it tends to hover around 87mbps, but will sometimes jump up to 330mbps (albeit briefly).  It tends to average about 175 on 5ghz.  If I turn on Bluetooth (which I absolutely don't anymore) the speed ranges from 2 to 10mbps.

I have a Surface Go and a MacBook Pro that locks onto the access point at 5ghz and maintains a constant speed of around 866mbps.  It doesn't fluctuate at all.

I have read a lot of posts about Marvell Avastar driver, but updating the driver has had no appreciable effect, and generally, there are no new drivers available.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Tim in Dublin

Monday, October 29, 2018 1:30 PM

Answers

• Well this is strange.  Just for fun, I plugged in a USB wireless adapter and disabled the internal adapter.  Connected to the 2.4ghz band and got terrible throughput, much worse than the internal adapter, so I removed it and re-enabled the internal adapter.  The speed jumped (briefly) to 566mbps, whereas before the best speed I ever got was 125.  Still fluctuates wildly between 87mbps and around 550mbps (like every few seconds), but the high end got higher.  I had tried resetting, disabling and re-enabling the internal adapter before.  I'm just going to leave it alone at this point, as I doubt it will ever get any better than it is.

Tim in Dublin

• Marked as answer by TimInDublin Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:40 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:40 PM

All replies

• Kindly Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro

In the file download dialog box, find the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_SA.exe file, select Run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:10 AM
  • The diagnostics didn't tell me much of anything.  It didn't seem to test any network functions at all.  The only problem reported was that secure boot was turned off (which I did while testing something else, I just never turned it back on).  All it tested was display, sound and battery.

Tim in Dublin

Thursday, November 1, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Set your WiFi adapter to 5GHz  instead of Auto.

See also:

Fix Wi-Fi problems in Windows 10.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, November 4, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Set it to 5ghz. It made no difference.

Tim in Dublin

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Well this is strange.  Just for fun, I plugged in a USB wireless adapter and disabled the internal adapter.  Connected to the 2.4ghz band and got terrible throughput, much worse than the internal adapter, so I removed it and re-enabled the internal adapter.  The speed jumped (briefly) to 566mbps, whereas before the best speed I ever got was 125.  Still fluctuates wildly between 87mbps and around 550mbps (like every few seconds), but the high end got higher.  I had tried resetting, disabling and re-enabling the internal adapter before.  I'm just going to leave it alone at this point, as I doubt it will ever get any better than it is.

Tim in Dublin

• Marked as answer by TimInDublin Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:40 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:40 PM