none
Tracking actual duration and actual work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about how to enter the real duration and real work if they are both different from the planned data.

Let's say I have a task A planned for 5 days, this equals 40 work hours.
    Then task A was actually performed in 4 days and needed 24 work hours.

When I fill in the actual duration (4 days), MSP recalculates the actual work to 32 hours, then when I modify actual work to 24 hours , MSP recalculates the actual duration to 3 days, and so on...

So how can I enter both actual data?

Monday, January 13, 2020 3:34 PM

Answers

• Roger --

You have just run into one of the challenges of tracking task progress using the Actual Duration and Actual Work columns.  Here is the workaround I would recommend for you, using the example you cite in your question:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and apply the Entry table, if needed.
    2. Select the task in question.
    3. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    4. In the Task Form pane, click the Task Type pick list and select Fixed Duration, and then click the OK button.
    5. In the Task Form pane, set the Duration value to 4 days and click the OK button.  The work will adjust to 32 hours.
    6. In the Task Form pane, change the Work to 24 hours and click the OK button.
    7. Close the Task Form pane.
    8. In the Schedule section of the Task ribbon, click the 100% Complete button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:07 PM

All replies

• Roger --

You have just run into one of the challenges of tracking task progress using the Actual Duration and Actual Work columns.  Here is the workaround I would recommend for you, using the example you cite in your question:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and apply the Entry table, if needed.
    2. Select the task in question.
    3. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    4. In the Task Form pane, click the Task Type pick list and select Fixed Duration, and then click the OK button.
    5. In the Task Form pane, set the Duration value to 4 days and click the OK button.  The work will adjust to 32 hours.
    6. In the Task Form pane, change the Work to 24 hours and click the OK button.
    7. Close the Task Form pane.
    8. In the Schedule section of the Task ribbon, click the 100% Complete button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:07 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for your answer!

I works the way you have suggested, it is even possible to combine the last 2 steps (modify work hours and % complete in 1 action).

It seems to me that the fields 'work' and 'actual work',  and also 'duration' and 'actual duration' must be interconnected somehow and display the same value?

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:30 PM