none
Computername folder created BELOW the username UEV settings storage folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I have UEV setup on Windows 10 (currently testing on 1709).

The settings storage path is set through GPO as \\servername\profilefolder\%username%.

When a user logs into a computer with UEV enabled, the correct folder gets created:

i.e.:\\servname\profilefolder\myusername\SettingsPackages

However, we also get the computername folder created WITHIN the user folder. Example we have:

\\servname\profilefolder\myusername\SettingsPackages\machinename.domainname.com

This machine folder is empty, but as users go to many open access computers, there will be a lot of empty folders building up. Can we prevent this? Have I set up GPO incorrectly?

Thanks

• Edited by MrBeatnik Monday, May 7, 2018 2:56 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 2:53 PM

Answers

• Just revisiting this to clean up.

Seems like any profile template marked as "backup" in the template itself (i.e. <FixedProfile>Backup</FixedProfile>) gets saved to the computer name, below the users backup setting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/uev-v2/manage-administrative-backup-and-restore-in-ue-v-2x-new-topic-for-21

I don't want this on machines that users roam around on as there are hundreds of folders created that will never be used, so I simply disabled all the backup templates (handy all the inbox templates have "backup" in the name as well).

Get-UevTemplate *backup* | Disable-UevTemplate

• Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:13 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:13 PM

All replies

Seems like any profile template marked as "backup" in the template itself (i.e. <FixedProfile>Backup</FixedProfile>) gets saved to the computer name, below the users backup setting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/uev-v2/manage-administrative-backup-and-restore-in-ue-v-2x-new-topic-for-21

I don't want this on machines that users roam around on as there are hundreds of folders created that will never be used, so I simply disabled all the backup templates (handy all the inbox templates have "backup" in the name as well).

• Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:13 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:13 PM

Have you verified this as a working solution, because on my testcomputer it still creates an empty folder in the SettingsPackages directory?
    • Edited by Dave Work Monday, May 13, 2019 9:31 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 9:00 AM

Have you verified this as a working solution, because on my testcomputer it still creates an empty folder in the SettingsPackages directory?

Hi Dave,

Sorry, not getting notifications so just happened to see this today. It seems to work for us, but maybe there is another setting I have used elsewhere. Did you figure it out for yourself?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:35 AM