Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit NLB Cluster - Multicast Mode - Across Subnets RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2008 R2, 64-bit
    NLB cluster w/2 nodes - multicast mode

Having the issue with communication across subnets as outlined in: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/960916

Is the only option to change the cluster to Unicast and set up multiple NICs? From everything I've read, everyone seems to be using unicast for the cluster mode.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:12 AM

All replies

• hi,

we have two web servers, each one has the same contents and services (IIS and  MS-SQL), now we want to deploy them in HA mode. i read about NLB and I thing its the best way to achieve this purpose, we are planning to setup the following scenario:

Node1 and node2 are windows 2008 64 standard edition servers

both nodes have Two NIC's : nlb nic and public nic

we have made new cluster and we added node1 and node2 to this cluster and we choose the NLB NIC IP to be the dedicated ip and we use unicast and set the filtering to single (because we dont want to use load balance, we want only active/passive) and we added the Virtual IP as second ip on both nlb nic's on node1 and node2 and we enabled the ip forwarding for nlb nic's,

the Virtual IP is Real IP and it has dns record (it was the ip used to access our web from the public,the Virtual ip refers to  www.xxxx.com)

When I test the above settings, Unfortunatly , I could ping on the Virtual IP from any subnet but I couldnt access the site through Virtual IP from internet explorer

is the above configuration is correct? should we have to make any settings on the IIS?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:32 AM