none
Remove Fake Tech Support number from taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Customer had a hijacker on his computer and he had changed what I'm thinking is the registry so that the fake tech support number is on his taskbar. Wondering if anyone knows how to remove it safely from the registry?

Or where would I find the spot to edit it? Don't want to goof up something on the tray.

Saturday, August 5, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Right-click taskbar, mouse over toolbars and uncheck toolbar with telephone number.
    • Proposed as answer by Satyajit321 Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:10 PM
    Saturday, October 14, 2017 8:58 AM
  • That does not remove it. I only turns it off so you don't see it. it is still on you computer.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:03 AM
  • Hi Guys... I fell prey to a tech support scam and the number is in my tray... I still do not see an answer telling us how to remove it... please answer the original question... Thanks, R
    Monday, April 9, 2018 11:33 PM
  • In Windows 10 I was able to turn off the number by right clicking the taskbar, mouse over Toolbars, and then uncheck the toolbar named after the number. Then I found that when they created the "toolbar" it was saved in the Documents folder. It's gone now.
    Friday, April 13, 2018 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

I was wondering if you ever found out how to completely remove the software? I was able to "hide" the phone  number from displaying in the taskbar/tray but, like you, I want to make sure it's completely removed from the computer.  I also read somewhere that one should factory reset the router and change PW if someone from the service got access to the computer (which they did, in my case). Do you know anything about that?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:23 PM
  • Same as Wushih, I hide the number. Found the folder in Documents, deleted the folder and can no longer un-hide the tech number, it's gone. On another system I had to search the registry for it, but this was much easier.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 11:37 PM
  • worked THX
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:00 AM
  • Thank you so very much!!!  You're a genius!!  :)
    Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:54 PM