Scanning exclusions doubts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am wanting to create several exclusions for differing reasons, for example a print server,  and a client which connects to a remote database.

My doubts come from the wording of the FCS documentation, whereby it suggests an excepction means that the route or file will not be scanned during a malware scan. However, what nature of malware scan does this refer to - Quick scan, full scan, realtime scan or custom scan?
    I ask because we have applied said exceptions, and there seems to be no improvement to the problems we have seen with speed of access or corruption of data. One user said he had to create a specific exception in his client for a shared folder he has for the access to improve, although supposedly only the agent on the file server would scan the files....

In another case, the information in a database was corrupted until we disabled the realtime scan. For the print server, we have an exception for Windows\System32\spool which is the parent folder of the printers folder, but the printing has become intolerably slow since installing the agent and using the exception in the policy we have created. Therefore, it seems to me that these exceptions do not apply to realtime scanning - so the question is - how to create exceptions for realtime scanning?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• Exception will except in general, which mean realtime protection, full scan, quick scan, custom scan won't detect it as Malware and ignore it. Thats why put in exception could be risky if you are not careful. If after put in exception nothing happen, then the problem is something else NOT forefront.

I suggest to review networking and IP address and sharing and your firewall setting.

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:33 AM