none
SFTP Adapter using WinSCP creating huge tmp files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of my application downloads file from several FTP/SFTP sites, process them and sends response back. I am noticing WinSCP is creating tmp files in BTS users temp folder on C drive, which sometime grows upto 30GB in a week.

The only way to get rid of them is stop host instance and delete the files.

This box has WinSCP installed for other custom jobs. Could this be the reason?

I tried to switch the temporary directory to another drive, used by WinSCP storage for downloading / uploading files, but its not taking into effect.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

harry

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:02 PM

All replies

• How did you try to change the path?  By setting the TEMP system variable for the BizTalk Host Instance user to another location?
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:33 AM
  • No. Because this box has WinSCP installed, I modified using WinSCP -> Tools -> Preferences -> Storage -> Temporary Directory. Instead of using system temp directory, I chose custom directory. However, the registry is modified but still creating temp files in C drive. This custom folder has full access.

WinSCP Temp Storage Config

harry

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:05 PM
  • I would suggest changing the TEMP system variable for the BizTalk Host Instance as that my be overriding the WinSCP settings
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:34 PM
  • Thanks Colin. But TEMP system variable is pointing to Win\Temp, whereas TEMP user variable is pointing to User\AppData\Local\Temp.

Are you sure, I should change system variable path?

However, I did tried changing both. But still no luck.

Thanks,

harry

• Edited by harryss Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:32 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:31 PM
  • At one point there was an article by Microsoft General BizTalk Server Optimizations that talked about changing the TEMP path, that article is no longer available but you can still see it in the Wayback machine

Here it recommended 

"Configure the %temp% path for the BizTalk Service account to point to a separate disk or LUN
    This should be done because BizTalk uses the temp location to stream files to disk when performing complex mapping operations." 

I have implemented this in BizTalk 2013 R2 Production for one client to address an issue with space on the C: and it has worked without issue.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:41 PM