none
IN CASE OF IN PROGRESS TASKS, HOW TO KNOW THE DATE THE ACTIVITY'S UNCOMPLETED WORK WAS SCHEDULED TO START AFTER RRS feed

Answers

• Mohamed,

I believe the column you are looking for (in a task table) is  "Resume".  When you update the progress as Dale has suggested, Project sets the task's "Stop" date at the end of the Actual Duration, and Project sets the task's "Resume" date at the start of the Remaining Duration.  (Both of these are overwritten by Actual Finish when it is  entered.)

For an in-progress task, As Dale implied, the updating process first sets "Resume" equal to the first work period after the status date (or whichever other date you select in the update dialog).  After that, if a) the task has an unsatisfied predecessor, and b) the "Split in-progress tasks" box is checked in options, then Resume will be delayed as needed to satisfy the predecessor relationship.  Good luck, tom

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mohamed Atef Kh Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:59 PM

All replies

• Mohamed --

Before you reschedule uncompleted work from the past into the current reporting period, you first need to set the Status Date in your Microsoft Project schedule.  The Status Date should represent the last day of the last reporting period.  For example, suppose that last Friday was the last day of last week's reporting period.  Therefore, the Status Date would be September 13.

When you reschedule uncompleted work from the past, Microsoft Project will automatically reschedule the uncompleted work to resume AFTER the Status Date.  Since the Status Date in my example was a Friday, and since no one normally works on Saturdays or Sundays, Microsoft Project will reschedule the uncompleted work to start on the following Monday.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:14 PM
  • thanks Dale, but i still need know if there is a column to show this date , like the column "constraint date", is this possible? 

in case of updating selected tasks, not the hall project. i would need this date for each activity.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Mohamed --

No, there is no Status Date column.  The Status Date is a single value that you specify for the entire project.  It is the date by which every task should have its current progress updated.  Generally, the Status Date is the last day of last week's reporting period.  In many organizations, the Status Date would be last Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  You cannot set a Status Date for individual tasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:06 PM
  • yes you can set a status date for individual tasks

Select Project > Update Project > Reschedule uncompleted work to start after > Selected tasks 

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Mohamed --

Just to be clear, you are NOT setting the Status Date for selected tasks.  You are rescheduling uncompleted work for selected tasks.  There is a difference, my friend.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Mohamed,

I believe the column you are looking for (in a task table) is  "Resume".  When you update the progress as Dale has suggested, Project sets the task's "Stop" date at the end of the Actual Duration, and Project sets the task's "Resume" date at the start of the Remaining Duration.  (Both of these are overwritten by Actual Finish when it is  entered.)

For an in-progress task, As Dale implied, the updating process first sets "Resume" equal to the first work period after the status date (or whichever other date you select in the update dialog).  After that, if a) the task has an unsatisfied predecessor, and b) the "Split in-progress tasks" box is checked in options, then Resume will be delayed as needed to satisfy the predecessor relationship.  Good luck, tom

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mohamed Atef Kh Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:59 PM