Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 RTM upgrade fails with 'Windows 8.1 Setup has stopped working' RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 RTM (from MSDN) and the upgrade gets to ~56% and then crashes. I attempted the upgrade via a USB key and also by burning the .ISO to DVD media with the same result.
    The crash states:
    'Windows 8.1 Setup has stopped working'  
    Problem Event Name: install.exe
    Exception Code: c0000374

I've also tried loaded the 'Debug the program' option using the VS2010 debugger and get this additional info:

Surprisingly, if I click the 'Continue' button in VS2010 , the installation appears to proceed normally. However, I cancelled it before it got to 100% because I didn't want to wind up with a botched or unusable Windows 8.1 installation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

-e

Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• activate AppVerifier and PageHeap with globalflags (from WinDbg) for install.exe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556840%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

upload the new dumps you get

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:42 AM

All replies

• Setup ProcDump as debugger (ADebug):

procdump -ma -i C:\dumps

when setup crashes, you get a dmp under C:\dumps. Zip and upload this dump.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Dump files (2ea) created, zipped and uploaded here: Link

Thanks,

-e

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:29 PM
  • disable the Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller before running the upgrade. Does this fix it?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:21 PM
  • It's still crashing at the same spot. I even went so far as to uninstall the 1394 controller and disable it in BIOS. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

-e

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:22 AM
  • activate AppVerifier and PageHeap with globalflags (from WinDbg) for install.exe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556840%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

upload the new dumps you get

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:42 AM
  • How is that resolved?

I'm having the same issue (although I don't get a debug window). The install dies at 56%. I am using an older ASUS K52F laptop without tough capability, but Windows 8 has worked fine. I ran the compatibility check and removed a few programs and it still dies at 56%.

I'd rather not do a full install.

David

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:30 AM
  • also generate a dump and upload it.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:06 AM