none
Start the following program at logon on domain server SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask you for help regarding a problem I am experiencing on a Windows SBS 2011 server.
    A user must be able to connect remotely on this one and access only a program.
    It must not be able to do anything else on the server and when it leaves the software, the session must automatically disconnect.
    So I tried to configure the user's properties in the environment tab but it does not work. When I connect with this user, nothing happens and he has good access to the windows desktop ...
    Someone has an idea because in my memory, it worked fine with Windows SBS 2003?
    Thank you all for your advice.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:10 PM

All replies

• This has never worked in any SBS version as the only remote sessions are administrative sessions and only two concurrent sessions are possible.

You best option is to configure RWA on the SBS 2011 and grant access to a workstation inside your Lan. The user will then see a desktop with only stuff you allow.

SBS 2011 is no longer supported after January next year, time to say goodbye and migrate.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Thank you for your detailed answer ...
    If that does not work, why this option is avalaible?
    I've an article from Microsoft with the title : 
    Specify a program to start automatically when a user logon

Sorry but I've a new account and i can't send link for the moment (waiting microsoft verification)

Sunday, June 16, 2019 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

How to Run Programs Automatically When a User Logs On:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/240791/how-to-run-programs-automatically-when-a-user-logs-on

SBS (including WSE which has replaced SBS), due to its license limitation, it only allows two admin sessions simultaneously. 

>It must not be able to do anything else on the server and when it leaves the software, the session must automatically disconnect.
    Above article is used to automatically start a application when user logs on system, however, it does not mean only allow specific application usage permission for the user. Once remote session has been established, user should have other permission on the remote system, not only using specific application. 

For the problem about no application automatically start up when user logs on, you can confirm the suggestion mentioned in above KB to use group policy configuration.

If you only want to assign specific application on the server to specific user, RDS deployment – RemoteApp would be recommended. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:17 AM