none
SMS_REST_PROVIDER Site component always wants to reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have inherited an SCCM 1806 (no hotfixes) environment with a full setup in each of PROD / TEST / DEV environments.

All three have a recurring error where midnight every day it detects it needs to have SMS_REST_PROVIDER be reinstalled due to settings change

"Detected a change to the "F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitectrl.box" directory."

"REST provider endpoint on [Server] will be reinstalled due to settings change."

It then fails when registering the .DLL

"F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager could not be done: Failed to register dll F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll with error = 0x80004005"

"ERROR: Unable to successfully register file F:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll, failing install for component."

It fails also when I manually run

RegSvcs.exe
    /extlb /tlb:"F:\Microsoft Configuration
    Manager\bin\X64\microsoft.configurationmanager.taskexecutionmanager.tlb"
    "F:\Microsoft Configuration
    Manager\bin\X64\microsoft.configurationmanager.taskexecutionmanager.dll"

with the Transaction Manager is not available 0x8004D01b error

I can get around it by going into the Local DTC in Component Services, clicking in the NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService account then hitting OK so it restarts the DTC service without making any changes, then all works well again and registers the DLL and reinstalls the component until midnight the next day when it loops through the process.

I've seen a few suggested fixes with reinstalling MS DTC, verify Network Service account has permission to the MSDTC log file etc but still no go. Also the suggested registry entries for Task Execution manager that I have seen on this forum are set correctly as well.

Only the DEV environment appears to show the SMS_REST_PROVIDER in Component Status and not PROD or TEST but all three present the same error. Not sure if its an 1806 issue or if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I've actually found that there was a really old Group Policy applying to SCCM servers that were setting permissions for certain Systems Services such as Com+, IIS, MSDTC etc.

As the default account used for these services were being override by the GPO, the services didn't have permission to run. (ie. NTAUTHORTIY\Network Service didn't have permission). So all our SCCM boxes had errors in Event Viewer about COM+, MSDTC etc

Once I disabled GPO, taskexecutionmanager.dll didn't have any issues and the errors in sitecomp.log went away as well as the errors for SMS_REST_PROVIDER in component status.

Try that out and see if you have similar problems, as I tried out every other fix out there beforehand.

• Marked as answer by RKOViper Saturday, June 22, 2019 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:26 AM

All replies

• RKOViper,

Any progress on this? I am seeing the same thing with CM1810 and the latest hotfix rollup. The difference is instead of only at midnight, mine is failing to install every hour:
    It is also failing for the SMS_TEM component

Anyone have any ideas how to register the taskmanager.dll correctly??

from my sitecomp log (xxx out the servername):

Installed REST provider endpoint configuration for XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
        Installing Security settings on site system [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]...
        Security settings are up to date for XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
    Found 1 files to install with InstallUtil.exe
          The server already contains some of the required files for this component.  A disk space check will not be made.
    Logs directory will be created for REST provider endpoint.
            Installed service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
            Starting service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with command-line arguments "yyy D:\CM /installutil D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.DeviceManagement.CMServiceWorker.dll none"...
              D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.DeviceManagement.CMServiceWorker.dll is done successfully.
            Bootstrap operation successful.
            Deinstalled service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
          Bootstrap operations completed.
            Starting service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with command-line arguments "yyy D:\CM /registerfile D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll none"...
              D:\CM could not be done: Failed to register dll D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll with error = 0x80004005
            Bootstrap operation failed; continuing anyway.
              D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll is done successfully.
          Bootstrap operations aborted.
    ERROR: Unable to successfully register file D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll, failing install for component.
          Some files were not installed.
        Reinstallation failed and will be retried in the next polling cycle.
    LogEvent(): Successfully logged Event to NT Event Log (1, 124, -1073740804, (null)).
    STATMSG: ID=1020 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_REST_PROVIDER" SYS=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SITE=yyy PID=3056 TID=436 GMTDATE=Sat Jun 15 17:46:31.433 2019 ISTR0="60" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0
        Component SMS_RULE_ENGINE is running.
        Component SMS_SCHEDULER is running.
        Component SMS_SERVICE_CONNECTOR is running.
        Component SMS_SITE_CONTROL_MANAGER is running.
        Component SMS_SITE_SYSTEM_STATUS_SUMMARIZER is running.
        Component SMS_SITE_VSS_WRITER is running.
        Component SMS_SOFTWARE_INVENTORY_PROCESSOR is running.
        Component SMS_SOFTWARE_METERING_PROCESSOR is running.
        Component SMS_STATE_SYSTEM is running.
        Component SMS_STATUS_MANAGER is running.
        Reinstalling component SMS_TEM...
    STATMSG: ID=1018 SEV=I LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_TEM" SYS=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SITE=yyy PID=3056 TID=436 GMTDATE=Sat Jun 15 17:46:31.543 2019 ISTR0="" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0
          The server already contains some of the required files for this component.  A disk space check will not be made.
            Starting service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with command-line arguments "yyy D:\CM /registerfile D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll none"...
              D:\CM could not be done: Failed to register dll D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll with error = 0x80004005
            Bootstrap operation failed; continuing anyway.
              D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll is done successfully.
          Bootstrap operations aborted.
    ERROR: Unable to successfully register file D:\CM\bin\x64\Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.TaskExecutionManager.dll, failing install for component.
          Some files were not installed.
        Reinstallation failed and will be retried in the next polling cycle.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:58 PM
  • Hi TRG-66,

We had not exactly same Problem but it seems very similar due to Problems around taskexecutionmanager.dll.

See below, where we had Errors when upgrading from 1606 to 1702....iclusive Solution from the Opend MS-Support-Case ( See entry Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:51 AM).

HTH

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e384f5af-82c4-4f98-b239-b886fdfc3812/smsrestprovider-issues-after-inplace-update-from-1606-to-1702?forum=ConfigMgrCBGeneral

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

I've actually found that there was a really old Group Policy applying to SCCM servers that were setting permissions for certain Systems Services such as Com+, IIS, MSDTC etc.

As the default account used for these services were being override by the GPO, the services didn't have permission to run. (ie. NTAUTHORTIY\Network Service didn't have permission). So all our SCCM boxes had errors in Event Viewer about COM+, MSDTC etc

Once I disabled GPO, taskexecutionmanager.dll didn't have any issues and the errors in sitecomp.log went away as well as the errors for SMS_REST_PROVIDER in component status.

Try that out and see if you have similar problems, as I tried out every other fix out there beforehand.

• Marked as answer by RKOViper Saturday, June 22, 2019 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:26 AM