none
Microsoft Surface 1.0 emergency hardware maintenance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After a few freight transport trips, our Microsoft Surface died. Everything leads to a hard disk drive hardware failure, as it doesn't even show up at POST anymore, thus leading to a "No boot device detected" BIOS error.

After looking on the web, I could only find a manual for servicing the lamps and accessing the I/O ports.

What is the best procedure for accessing the PC hardware located inside the Microsoft Surface 1.0, since we have to replace the HDD ?

I was planning on flashing an image that was created on day one, upon receiving the Microsoft Surface, "just in case", onto a new hard disk drive and plug this drive right into the internal PC, and boot it up.

Any lead would be appreciated.

The Microsoft Surface we own is long out of warranty.

Best regards,

Antoine Mazeas

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Antoine,

We're experiencing the same issue with our Surface 1.0 and I'm wondering if you've been able to get any support for this or found a way to fix it yourself?

All my attemps to connect with Microsoft (through their offical Pixelsense support page) have failed so far (both Phone and email get no reply).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Robert Reenders

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. We managed to reach the internals by following these instructions:

http://blog.toinedeboer.nl/2010/10/ms-surface-recovery/

You will need some Torx screwdrivers as well as Phillips ones (i don't exactly recall which size though, you'll have to check by yourself)

Shame that Microsoft doesn't at least release official (and thorough) documents so that we are able to support our expensive hardware if they don't want to do it themselves...

Good luck!

Antoine

• Edited by Antoine Mazeas Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by dsetty Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Wow, make that three. My just arrived MS Surface is a retired unit from the Smithsonian.  I plugged it in and it worked great. I connected a wireless keyboard, mouse and network cable. Then the Vista updates started. Meanwhile, I opened the cover and ordered a similar hard drive so I could back up the original Seagate ST3250310NS (access is a chore and there's no room for a second drive). I finished the updates and the unit still worked well. Then I started it to sort of show it off and after a couple of tries the BIOS no longer sees the hard disk (the drive spins, the head moves but in 5-10 second repeated cycles). I called Customer Support to order a new drive (the original has a Microsoft Part Number), or a replacement thumb drive that the instructions say were "pre-supplied", but no luck. Anyone have a contact that can order these, or must I get the hard drive repaired? Or, can I reload Vista and find all the drivers and special Surface software (assuming they are available)? Or, can I try Windows 7 or 8 (hoping the drivers are included or search again)? I con't find the answer on the forum, support, or Technet. This is a cool table, but right now it is only a table...

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:30 AM
  • dsetty,

I know, Microsoft's silence on everything related to supporting the Surface table is deafening. There isn't even a self-help section other than changing the light bulbs...

I'm really not sure about your chances of getting win7 to work with the Surface table. AFAIK this hardware only ran with Vista and I would bet my last shirt on compatible drivers being shipped with win7.

I'd say try to get an original image of the Surface OS distribution and flash it on a new hdd. However you'll need some luck to find someone willing to package it and send it to you. I no longer have access to the unit I was working on.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Microsoft will come to the unit and restore it for $340. I think that is a deal. I will make a copy of the hard drive and create my own restoration USB drive when they finish restoration...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Hello all,

I also have a nonfunctioning Microsoft Surface 1.0 unit.  It doesn’t power on, no Status Lights, no SCM status indicator lights, no fan, no blue light visible through the grating at the right end of the heat exhaust vent on the bottom of the I/O connections, nothing.  The only indication I get that the unit has power is a flashing red LED behind one the side panels (it appears to be coming from the CCPSU, Constant Current Power Supply Unit board, but I'm going to have to disassemble to confirm).

We are looking for help to get the unit repaired and would be grateful for any assistance or direction.  Thank you in advance.

-Bob

On a positive note, I was able to locate both the "Microsoft Surface Field Surface Guide" and "Surface Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Guide".  Perform a search for them and you should get links to the PDFs.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:39 AM
  • Hello all,

I also have a nonfunctioning Microsoft Surface 1.0 unit.  It doesn’t power on, no Status Lights, no SCM status indicator lights, no fan, no blue light visible through the grating at the right end of the heat exhaust vent on the bottom of the I/O connections, nothing.  The only indication I get that the unit has power is a flashing red LED behind one the side panels (it appears to be coming from the CCPSU, Constant Current Power Supply Unit board, but I'm going to have to disassemble to confirm).

We are looking for help to get the unit repaired and would be grateful for any assistance or direction.  Thank you in advance.

-Bob

On a positive note, I was able to locate both the "Microsoft Surface Field Surface Guide" and "Surface Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Guide".  Perform a search for them and you should get links to the PDFs.

I know this is farfetched that you'll reply, BUT I have the exact same issue.  I tested the PSU and all cables provided the proper voltage, however when I plug it all in and flip that first switch, the red led behind the side panel starts blinking.  Were you ever able to get to the source of the problem?  I know I'm necroposting, but I'm running out of ideas here :(

• Edited by Leon E87 Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:42 PM
  • Randomly looking for old articles for Surface tables and came across this post.  When you start up the unit, is there any light indicators on the tabletop or the scm panel?  We have had a number of these units over the years, and i have never seen this issue.  
    Friday, June 8, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Just as the poster Bob, that I had replied to, I don't get any activity other than a blinking red light on the little control board on the left side (if you're looking from the SCM side of the table).  There are 2 control boards, one on each side.  The right one shines a constant red LED, and the left one blinks.  I've taken the table apart extensively, and checked the PSU.  I did the paperclip test on it, and all the pins show proper voltages.  However, I'm unaware what the voltages should be going in when you first power on the PSU.  I know the little 8 pin plug that goes into the SCM controls that, and some of it does feed some voltages (I'm guessing to pre-start it up), but I get no SCM lights, and the button on the front has 0 effect.  I have powered just the PC portion alone, and it's run no problem, and had to reinstall vista, so I know that works.  I cannot get the rest of the table working, so I'm fairly sure I have a faulty SCM board, or MAYBE even a bad ballast for the DLP projector, but I have no way of testing that.  

Might you have any extra parts Tekian?  If you have an extra SCM board from a busted unit, I'd be willing to buy that from you.  Let me know.  Thanks!  Or if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, or if you're able to test it out, can you tell me the proper voltages that are coming from the 8 pin plug in the back of the SCM?  
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 7:19 PM
  • UPDATE:  So the issue was the SCM board.  I managed to find a replacement, and got the system running.  Make sure you wiggle the cables (in an out of their inputs to clear the contacts, almost like de-oxidizing them).  

Saturday, June 23, 2018 2:37 PM
  • hello, I'm french I'd like to have your help I got this coffee table gift with the original hard drive but without windozs in {entirely empty} I'd really like to put it back in its original state could you create me an image for cle usb here is my mail deserteagle50ae@hotmail.fr you will save me life and that of my surface pleaaaase ...... thx for all
    Saturday, March 30, 2019 11:24 PM
  • hi , it's possible can you give me a save of your windows original and driver [all program ] ??? thx

Saturday, March 30, 2019 11:26 PM
  • personne pour m'aider?
    Sunday, April 7, 2019 1:35 PM