none
[SOLVED] Uninstall a user based MSI with SCCM - Error 1605 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello :-)

I have a software named Pexip Connectivity installed in tons of machines in my domain. MSI code is {27E4B9C3-2DF5-441B-8D08-B233E07E7AA1}.

This software aparently was installed in user context (a user without admin rights). The product information in windows registry is located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\USER_GUID\Products\3C9B4E725FD2B144D8802B330EE7A71A\InstallProperties

The uninstall string is MsiExec.exe /x {27E4B9C3-2DF5-441B-8D08-B233E07E7AA1}

Errors in uninstall:

msiexec /x in elevated way (cmd): error 1605

msiexec /x in elevated way with psexec (SYSTEM account): error 1605

Deploy a SCCM Uninstall Application with machine context: error 1605

Deploy a SCCM Uninstall Application with user context (another user is logged on, not the original user from instalation): error 1605

There's some way to uninstall a per-user MSI installation when the install user is not present anymore?

SOLUTION:       
    First: msiexec /i source_installer.msi REINSTALLMODE=sumo /qn (this converts the user installed software in computer software installed)
    Second: msiexec /i source_installer.msi REMOVE=ALL /qn (removes the installed software)

• Edited by Lacerda Adrecal Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:31 PM change msi name
    Monday, August 5, 2019 7:33 PM

All replies

• This is really a Windows Installer question and to my knowledge no, there is no way. If that user no longer exists, the best path is most likely to just delete the user's profile from the system(s) in question. 

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

error 1605 = "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

This is usually caused by an application installed by user in the context of a particular user.
    In this case, it can only be uninstalled in the context of the same user, so we can only use that user's account to uninstall the app.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

error 1605 = "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

This is usually caused by an application installed by user in the context of a particular user.
    In this case, it can only be uninstalled in the context of the same user, so we can only use that user's account to uninstall the app.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

You rediscovered the wheel, thanks.
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:27 PM
  • This is really a Windows Installer question and to my knowledge no, there is no way. If that user no longer exists, the best path is most likely to just delete the user's profile from the system(s) in question. 

I've found the solution, thanks.
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:33 PM
  • What was the solution, Lacerda?

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:37 PM
  • I'm skeptical of this solution. Your command-line (re-)installs the same software in the all users mode which then allows you to remove it from the all users mode. That doesn't mean it actually removed the per-user installation.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:09 PM
  • What was the solution, Lacerda?

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

First: msiexec /i source_installer.msi REINSTALLMODE=sumo /qn (this converts the user installed software in computer software installed)
    Second: msiexec /i source_installer.msi REMOVE=ALL /qn (removes the installed software)
    Friday, August 23, 2019 11:31 AM
  • I'm skeptical of this solution. Your command-line (re-)installs the same software in the all users mode which then allows you to remove it from the all users mode. That doesn't mean it actually removed the per-user installation.

Try it yourself. Download Pexip Infinity Connect and try it.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 11:32 AM