none
Migrating sbs 2011 to essentials 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a situation where we have a sbs 2011 domain and need to upgrade to 2019 since 2011 is going out of support. That being said I do not have any additional hardware to migrate the domain to so is there a way to do an in place upgrade of 2011 to 2019

Any direction would be greatly appreciated! 

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In-place upgrade from SBS to Essentials is not supported. 

If you want to keep original hardware, if possible, build a VM as intermediate conversion. That means:
    1. Build WSE 2019 VM.
    2. Migrate from SBS to WSE2019 VM.
    3. Re-install SBS with WSE 2019 on original hardware.
    4. Migrate back from WSE2019 VM to original hardware. 

Please remember to check your hardware compatibility for WSE 2019, make sure that it supports new OS version. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Eve, I have a WSE 2019 built in hyper V already the only thing is I have not promoted it can I promote to DC and have it be part of the SBS forest until I am ready to shut down the sbs server then migrate from the VM to the original hardware? 
    Friday, October 18, 2019 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

> can I promote to DC and have it be part of the SBS forest until I am ready to shut down the sbs server then migrate from the VM to the original hardware?
    Yes. There will be 21 days period for SBS to migration. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, October 25, 2019 3:31 AM