Top Answerers Last 30 Days by Forums RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks Sigmund.

This is what I see next to every forum including this one:

Top answerers

Last 30 days

Visakh16   312

That number (312 answers) is pretty discouraging and irrelevant for a particular forum.

I would like see the top answerers for the current forum only (the way it used to be).

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SELECT Video Tutorials 4 Hours
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Saturday, March 29, 2014 6:11 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Currently overall top answerers shown with some frighteningly high numbers.

It would be better to show top answerers by forum. That would increase motivation for answerers to participate and compete. That would lift the quality of each forum.

Though I agree with you in principle, the trouble is that in the redesign there is really no such concept as single forum view. Maybe it would be possible to display the top answerers in just the forums contained in the current view, but that might be hard to implement. This abandoning of the single forum view has caused a lot of collateral damage, and I am really not sure it has improved matters (I don't think casual users of the forums even understand it).

But personally, I cannot imagine why someone that uses the forums a lot would ever have the left rail displayed. I only use the left rail to generate views that I then save as browser favorites; then I close the left rail and leave it closed. So I never see the top answerers list. So actually, I like the redesign, but I suspect I do not use it in the way that is intended.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, March 30, 2014 11:08 AM

• Think about it.

312 answers Last 30 days.

10 answers per day.

1 answer per hour.

Read a thread entirely.  Research it.  Solve it.  Test it.  Compose and submit it.

1 per hour.  On a 10 hour scheduled day.  7 days per week.

312  quality  answers in the Last 30 days.

You don't seriously believe anybody in forum management considers that a possibility when they urge 312 answers per 30 days, do you?  Then what kind of answers are they promoting.

And if you look at Visakh16's profile you will see about a 3 to 1 ratio of responses to answers (which is typical in my experience), so it's about 3 responses per hour.

But if he/she finds time to do it, then so be it. Are you saying that Visakh16 is not giving quality responses? I don't know much about SQL, but I do not get that impression from glancing at a few of his/her threads.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:11 PM
  • >Maybe it would be possible to display the top answerers in just the forums contained in the current view, but that might be hard to implement.

That is very easy to implement in SQL.

>I hope you like my new avatar.

Since you pointed it out Sigmund: stylish swastika. Most people would not perceive it that way anyhow.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SELECT Video Tutorials 4 Hours
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:20 PM