none
Surface Pro4 Blurry Front Cam using WebRTC RRS feed

• Question

• I was directed here from answers.microsoft.com, if this isn't the correct place to post this, please let me know.

The company I work for has a fair number of Surface Pro 4's used by our employees.  We also have a single Surface Book.  They have noticed that when using our services that their front web cam is very blurry & pixelated.  When I started investigating, I noticed it was any service that used WebRTC was blurry.  Every other service that uses a different protocol worked perfectly.

Our users claim it started happening a few months back.  I managed to get my hands on a surface Pro 4 that was Pre-1803 update.  Everything worked fine there.  I updated to 1803 and it was still running like a champ.  Then Windows Update pulled in 2 firmware updates - "Surface - Firmware - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 103.2241.256.0"  And "Surface - Firmware - 8/14/2018 12:00:00 AM - 108.2318.769".  After the required reboot all WebRTC communications went bad.  The pixelation doesn't happen 100% of the time, and bright rooms seem to make it more likely.  It will also come and go - meaning you can sit there perfectly still and it'll switch back and forth being pixelated and not.

To reproduce:

1. Go to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/testdrive/demos/photocapture/ or https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/getusermedia/gum/
    2. On the site of your choosing, select the appropriate button to display feed from your front camera.

Expected Results:
    Image with quality appropriate for network conditions.Actual Results:

Extremely poor quality image with very bad pixelation such as the image from my testing  (on the Microsoft site) below.

Other things of possible importance:

• Only the front camera is bad.  Switching immediately to the back camera will clean up the screen and never go blurry.
    • Being better reproduced in brighter rooms, we tried turning off the front IR camera - no difference.
    • Plugging a USB camera into the Pro fixed the issue but is not an acceptable workaround.
    • Happens on every single one of our Surface Pro 4's.
    • Happens on our only Surface Book
    • Does not happen on the Surface Pro 3's or the Surface Pro (the one between 4 and 6 which for some reason isn't called 5)
    • Happens on the latest versions of Edge, Firefox and Chrome.

Has anyone else seen this issue or have a fix for it?  Googling, there seems to be a lot of similar issues with the front cameras after the 1803 update, but none that seem to be limited to WebRTC protocol.

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:49 PM

All replies

• I can't seem to upload my own picture yet even though I should be verified.  I'll try again later but it looks very similar to the capture here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/self-view-is-fuzzy-on-surface-pro-after-windows/f5cf1c8f-f683-4cd2-a190-e2d5ba43e219

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:54 PM
  • I also have this problem on the Surface Book 2 (With a recent update est. the last 6 months)

The camera works fine via camera app, but not via the web interface (low res/blurry).  I've tried downloading a host of direct show management apps that allow configuration, and while I think they may give more insight into the issue, I haven't been able to resolve it.

Friday, November 30, 2018 4:19 AM
  • Jason, if you haven't already can you try contacting support?  They are trying to brush this off as not their problem despite breaking after firmware updates.  To the support person I've been in contact with, quality adjustments based on light is an end-software issue not a firmware issue - even though the software doesn't control that.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 4:31 PM
  • same for me. Happening on two Surface Book 2's and Surface Pro 4 (all with newest Windows update and firmware). Also happening for me in Edge, Firefox, Chrome. I can confirm, this only happens with the frontfacing camera.

did anyone identify what the problem is and how it can be solved?

Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Hi all,

same here:

- Surface Pro 4, all updates
    - Front Cam via WebRTC heavy blurry. Not usable in a professional setting.

Best

Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:14 AM