none
Process Explorer crashing randomly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I usually have process explorer running on startup (via the Task scheduler) and I have two system tray icons for it (CPU and Disk).

Recently I've noticed that that the process explorer sometimes crashes. It does so silently and I notice it purely by observing that the two tray icons are gone. I can then start it up again and it works for some time and then it crashes again.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:57 PM

All replies

• This doesn't sound good. Would be helpful to grab a dump file.

If you look in the application event log do you see an "Application Error" event (ID 1000) for this? If so does it indicate whether a dump file was generated?

If not would it be possible to configure your system to generate dump files (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps)

Cheers

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:21 PM
  • I have the same Problem (Windos 10, Process Explorer 16.21)
    Monday, December 3, 2018 11:39 AM
  • Hi Jurgen

we never received a dump file from the OP. Is this something you would be able to assist us with? If so could you ping me offline at syssite@microsoft.com and I'll provide you with an upload location.

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 1:06 AM
  • Hi Mark,

a couple of days ago I created a debug registry entry for process explorer. I still wait for the next crash.

If the crash happens I will contact you and send you the log-file.

Jürgen

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:34 AM
  • That would be great - Really appreciate your help here. Thanks Jurgen :-(
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:04 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I just recognised: ProcessExplorer crashed. But I don't see any crash-dump. Maybe a mistake in filling the registry-entry? Please give me a download-location for sending my registry change for expection.

Jürgen

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:41 PM
  • Same problem here.  Process explorer crashes, usually after several hours.  There are no log entries for Event ID 1000 with a Faulting Application Name of Process Explorer or ProcExp (there are a few such entries from other applications I have installed).
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 11:32 PM
  • Was a memory dump file generated for this crash and if so could you contact me at syssite@microsoft.com and I will take a look

MarkC(MSFT)

Saturday, March 2, 2019 5:34 AM
  • Hi,
    Sorry for not answering sooner, I was simply not notified that there was something new on this thread.

Anyway it just crashed on me an hour ago. I've checked the event logs and there is nothing special there.

I've added the following to my registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\procexp.exe]
    "DumpFolder"="c:\\temp"
    "DumpCount"=dword:00000005
    "DumpType"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\procexp64.exe]
    "DumpFolder"="c:\\temp"
    "DumpCount"=dword:00000005
    "DumpType"=dword:00000002

Hopefully I will get a dump next time.

Few notes:
    1. The process explorer is started on startup via task scheduler (At log on) with administrative privileges (Run with highest privileges) - PROCEXP64.EXE /t
    2. My laptop resumed from sleep ... I do not really know if this might have caused it to crash, I'm just mentioning it to provide more information
    3. It is difficult to say when it crashes exactly since the only way to discover that it crashed is by moving the mouse over the process explorer system tray icons and then they disappear.

Friday, March 8, 2019 9:39 AM
  • @MarkC

It just crashed when I was performing a string search through processes and it generated a crash dump. I've sent you an email with the dropbox link where you can download the dump file. Let me know if you need anything else.

Friday, April 19, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Same issue for me. Crashes every once in a while (almost every day or two) which is disappointing. Windows 10 x64. Please let me know if another crash dump is needed. Thank you!
    Monday, April 29, 2019 5:00 PM
  • Hello

From the dump file that dcarapic provided we were able to identify and resolve this issue. The fix will be available in the forthcoming 16.23 release which I will try to get published in the next few days. Thanks to Dalibor and everybody else who helped us with this issue

MarkC (MSFT)

Friday, May 10, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Installed the latest v16.26 and it still crashes occasionally once in a week or so (Windows 10 x64 v1809). There is no error events in Application log, will try to setup a memory dump for the next time.
    Monday, August 26, 2019 4:58 PM
  • How do you start Process Explorer?

Recently we discussed a issue where the problem was caused by a default option in a new scheduled task, which caused the process to close cleanly when resuming from hybernation or sleep..

You have to check the first power option in order to disable the second on, then disable the first one too and save the scheduled task..

Other the WER you can use Procdump to get a dump.. but if you don't get a dump it is probably because you have that option in the scheduled task.. have a look..

HTH
    -mario

Monday, August 26, 2019 5:45 PM